7

i think about you constantly

Zach watched Enzo throw the basketball, shouting in victory when he made the basket. The boy jumped up and down as if he'd been attempting to do it all day despite the fact that he made the shot just about every time he threw it.

He tapped his foot impatiently on the ground, stealing glances at the pile of stuff where his phone sat. It looked just as it did when he looked at it only a minute ago - a black screen with no notifications.

"You good, bro?" Enzo asked. He watched with his hands on his hips as Zach glanced from the phone to him, before back at the phone again.

"Yeah, yeah. Just give me a second." Zach pulled himself away from the court. He made his way toward his belongings, causing Enzo to roll his eyes.

"You keep saying that," The boy whined, dropping his hands to his sides. "You've checked your phone every five minutes."

"Actually, it's been every minute and a half - at most." Owen Blossom cut in from the bleachers. "That's only counting the times you were in the middle of a game, and being generous really."

Enzo raised his eyebrows and pursed his lips, the dimples in his cheeks growing deeper at the gesture. He held his hands up in a defensive move, one that said 'See?' loud and clear as he glanced between Zach and Owen.

Zach rolled his eyes this time, grabbing his phone from the gym bag. He eagerly tapped the screen to see if there were any new notifications, although he quickly grew disappointed as he saw nothing new from the last time he checked.

"Are you actually shocked there's nothing there?" Enzo asked, bouncing the basketball between his hands a few times. "I mean, I don't know what you're waiting on but surely it's not going to be any different than it was thirty seconds ago."

Zach sighed, looking at the screen one last time before throwing his phone back down on his bag. "It's nothing."

"Surely it's something," Enzo glanced back at Owen. The other boy - who had been deep into his homework - had completely forgotten about his previous task, his full attention on the other two boys in the gymnasium.

"Is it Dina?" Enzo then questioned, tossing the basketball to Zach.

Zach cringed, "What? No." He threw the ball back, shaking his head.

"Well I don't know what other girl you'd be interested in that much." Enzo shrugged, "Unless there's something I'm missing."

"You miss a lot when you're not around, Enzo." Owen cut in from his spot. He began to put his belongings away, putting them in every organized compartment in his backpack. He took his time, making sure to stay alert in the conversation while the other two continued to talk.

Enzo ignored the other boy's comment, too focused on his best friend. "Seriously, man. You've never been this involved with your phone. What's bothering you? Something with the grams again?"

Zach shook his head. He debated with himself before making sure they were the only three in the gymnasium. Once he realized they were, he sighed in defeat. "It's a girl."

"Seriously?" Owen and Enzo asked at the same time. Each of them had a confused expression, glancing at each other before back at Zach.

This was very odd for Zach. He wasn't usually like this, his carefree attitude diminished as he opened up to his two best friends. Even during serious times, he was usually calm and collected.

Zach tapped his fingers on the basketball a few times. After some more debating in his brain, he finally motioned for Enzo to follow him before making his way over to where Owen sat.