Chapter 70 Derek Madison

It's nice to be out of rehab, my first stop is the cemetery.

I need to apologize to her, I took everything from her. I know it means nothing, it won't change the past but I need to say it.

I bought some flowers, and search the rows of headstones for hers I find it and the engraving on it tugs at my heart.

'BELOVED MOTHER'

Except she never got to be a mother, it's something I will always regret and I vow to live better, to make the changes I need to make. It's a way to honor her and her baby.

I've written her a letter, I can't bare to say the words out loud. I place the envelope next the headstone and place the flowers in the plastic vase.

I don't stay too long, I have another stop to make. I'm not sure he will welcome me though.

As I pull up in front of their house I see a woman and a little boy, who I know is the son of the woman I killed, he's a year old now and I watch as he chases after the woman. He must have just learned to walk he's still so wobbly. He looks happy though, I decide against approaching them. I will put the letter in the mailbox once she goes inside, hopefully they'll read it. I'm not going to disrupt their lives just to clear my guilty conscious.

I've already told my parents good bye, it's time I start caring about someone other than myself.

I've found a really great organization to work for, I will be helping poor kids and living in a boys home.

It's not glamorous but it's the best way I know how to honor the life of the woman I killed.

It's time to man up.