Obvious Differences

Just to let y'all know, I'm bullshitting the magic on this. This is crack and the laws are what I see as funny.

Arthur's brothers had already arrived at Arthur's house by the time Alfred and his counterpart knocked at the door.

When Arthur answered it, he was greeted by a nervous and sheepish Alfred, who muttered a hello before walking in, and a stranger, the other America, who waved, his face expressionless.

Arthur stepped away from the door, giving the other America space to walk in, gesturing for the counterpart to do so. The other America nodded before following Alfred into the room where Arthur's brothers were.

Once they were all in the room, Arthur began to take the opportunity to study the other America.

The other America looked nothing like Alfred. He was taller, with shoulder-length black hair and dark brown eyes, almost black. He had a large amount of freckles peppered on his face and neck. He had glasses like Alfred, but they were circular. Most shocking to Arthur was his skin tone. Unlike Alfred, this America wasn't white—he looked mixed.

"Hello. I'm Arthur Kirkland, England," Arthur said, figuring that staring at someone was just as rude in that America's dimension as in his. He held out his hand for the other America to shake. A brief glimmer of surprise passed across Other America's face before the other America took his hand and shook it.

"Pleasure. We're the United States of America. In our world, we don't usually tell others our human names, but Sam is fine if you want to call America something other than America or the United States and be discreet in public. My name, however, is James."

"Wait, I'm sorry, what?" Alfred asked. The Other America—Sam—James turned to look at America, confusion evident on his face.

"Did no one tell you we have Dissociative Identity Disorder?" he asked. Alfred startled, taking a step back.

"No? How?" Alfred asked as Arthur exchanged looks with his brothers. Other America—James clenched his fists.

"I'd rather not say. It's pretty personal. But yes, we have DID. No, we don't have an 'evil' alter that's movie bullshit and not at all accurate to what an actual system is like. No, having DID doesn't mean the US doesn't have a proper personification; the USA is an alter here. Any other stupid questions, or can we move along?" James said, his tone dry and annoyed.

"Who exactly have I been talking to? And uh, if this isn't offensive, but how many of you are there?" Alfred asked.

"You've mainly been talking to America, or Sam, which he decided was the human name you should use to refer to him 'cause he's a lazy bastard. Sorry for forgetting to tell you. In our defense, most people in our world know. I guess we're so used to people knowing we forgot. And there's eleven of us...I think. I'm not entirely sure; the number has changed a lot with time, plus I don't know everyone." James said with a shrug.

Arthur rubbed his hand against his forehead, trying to understand everything.

"Can we...can we talk to your America?" Allistor asked, his voice nervous. An annoyed expression quickly passed across James' face.

"You can leave a message, but he's not co-conscious right now. You can deal with me, or we can fly back to the States and figure something else out." He snapped, crossing his arms.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude." Allistor said, looking chastised.

"I know, it's just...Nevermind. You're Scotland, I presume, right?" James said. Allistor nodded.

"Allistor Kirkland." James' eyebrows raised slightly at that.

"Same last name?" James asked although it seemed more like a question to himself than anything else.