Chapter 82 - Forgiveness in the Storm

Amidst the relentless downpour and the raging storm, Augustus and Serena remained cloaked in a heavy silence. Finally, with a weary sigh, Serena voiced the thoughts that had been wrestling within her. "Now that you've endured your punishment, though I'm uncertain of its nature," she spoke softly, her words barely audible over the roar of the storm.

Her gaze softened as she observed his bloodied body and torn clothes with concern. "I forgive you," she murmured, her voice carrying through the rain-laden air with a sense of hesitation. "You can rise now," she added, her forgiveness cutting through the turmoil of the storm.

Augustus's eyes widened in disbelief. "Is it true?" he asked, his voice tinged with a flicker of hope. Serena simply nodded, her expression veiled in resignation, a silent acknowledgment.

As Augustus fought to rise, his trembling hands grasped desperately for support, seeking solace in the nearby wall. His body quivered uncontrollably, the tremors running through him like relentless waves crashing against the shore. No one could discern whether it was from the physical pain he endured or the biting cold seeping into his bones from his wet, torn clothes.

With each movement, he battled against the weight of exhaustion, his breaths coming in ragged gasps. Leaning heavily against the wall, his weary smile provided a fleeting glimpse of warmth amidst the relentless downpour. "Thank you, Serena," he murmured, his voice tinged with exhaustion.

After a moment's pause, Augustus gathered what little strength remained within him, the vitality that had seemingly ebbed away long ago, Augustus spoke softly, his words carrying through the rain-soaked air. "You should rest now. It's raining, and you should go indoors," he urged, genuine concern evident in his voice. "I am going too."

After his feeble declaration, he took a tentative step toward his house, his movements labored and unsteady, reminiscent of a marionette with loose strings.

Serena's gaze lingered on his unsteady gait, a poignant reminder of the toll his ordeal had exacted upon him. Concern etched her features as she contemplated the weather. "Why don't you come in until the rain subsides? Then you can continue on your way," she suggested gently.

Turning towards her, Augustus hesitated, weariness etched across his features as his gaze met hers. "No, I don't want to impose any further," he protested, his weak voice blending with the distant rumble of thunder.

Serena's tone held a firm edge as she spoke. "Just come in," she insisted. She couldn't shake the fear that Augustus might collapse and succumb to the elements on his way home in the rain, given his weakened state and the severity of the weather.

Sensing the firmness in her tone, Augustus acquiesced without protest, silently following her into the safety of her home, mindful not to invoke her displeasure.

Entering her abode, Augustus hesitated at the door, unsure whether to close it. "Should I close it?" he asked, conscious of their solitude within. He didn't want her to feel exposed or vulnerable with the door shut, but the howling wind and driving rain outside prompted him to consider the practicality and safety of closing it.

Serena, observing the intensifying storm, nodded. "Close it," she said calmly. She then grabbed a towel and settled into a nearby chair, wiping the water from her face and hands.

Augustus closed the door and lingered near it, casting a hesitant glance in Serena's direction. His lips parted as if he wanted to speak, yet he remained silent, uncertain of what to say.

Disinterested in whatever was on Augustus's mind, Serena didn't press for details. Instead, she noticed his pale face and said, "You should hydrate and have some fruit. There's water and a bowl of fruit on the table beside my bed," she gestured.