Chapter 97 - Trial of Restraint

In the soft morning light filtering through the small windows of Elder Samuel's modest abode, the elders were gathered around a timeworn wooden table, their expressions solemn yet warm. Serena, seated opposite them, listened intently, her gaze focused on the elders' faces. Augustus stood behind her, his posture straight and his heavy sword hanging at his waist, a silent sentinel.

Elder Agatha's eyes sparkled with delight as she spoke, her voice warm with satisfaction. "The ceremony yesterday was truly splendid, a testament to our community's harmony."

"Indeed," Elder Eileen concurred, her eyes crinkling with a soft smile. "And as for the gifts and offerings from the villagers..." She paused thoughtfully, "the weapons, medicines, elixirs, and herbs have been placed in the chief's treasury. The fruits and vegetables, however, will be managed according to our customs."

Curiosity sparked in Serena's eyes. "What customs?" she asked, her thoughts lingering on the fate of the fruits and vegetables. She had been pondering since yesterday about how these perishable offerings would be handled, given that they could not be stored like weapons or herbs.

Elder Samuel turned to Augustus with a hint of exasperation. "Augustus didn't inform you?" he asked, disappointment evident in his tone. He had instructed Augustus to explain these traditions, but it seemed his message had not been conveyed.

"Oh, I forgot," Augustus admitted apologetically, his cheeks flushing with a mix of embarrassment and regret. He averted his gaze, unable to meet Elder Samuel's disapproving eyes.

The previous day had been a whirlwind of activity for Augustus. He had been consumed by various tasks and, by night, had been too exhausted to remember everything. This morning, his mind was preoccupied with thoughts of how to bridge the gap between himself and Serena. His distraction had only deepened when he saw Serena embracing Prince Oliver in the doorway of the prince's abode, stirring emotions that only further clouded his focus.

Elder Samuel's eyes lingered on Augustus for a moment, his displeasure palpable. Augustus shifted uncomfortably under the scrutiny, his eyes dropping to the floor.

"It happens, anyone can forget things," Elder Eileen said with a gentle tone, trying to ease the tension.

Elder Samuel's gaze softened as he turned back to Serena. "According to our customs," he began, his voice steady and reverent, "any offerings of fruits, vegetables, or food given to the chief during the Heartvine Ceremony are considered sacred. We distribute these blessings to everyone in the village and our neighbors, both human and animal alike. It's our way of sharing the bounty and spreading goodwill."

Serena's face brightened with a genuine smile, her heart warmed by the explanation. "It's such a meaningful custom," she said, her voice filled with admiration and appreciation.

"Yes, it is," Elder Samuel agreed, his gaze shifting to the more pressing matter at hand. His attention fell on the stack of documents laid out on the table, bathed in the sunlight streaming through the windows. "Now, let's move on to another important topic."

Serena followed Elder Samuel's gaze to the pile of papers, her curiosity piqued.

"We're officially transferring the village's responsibilities to you," elder Samuel said, his tone steady.

He handed Serena a series of documents, each one symbolizing a different aspect of her new role. The first detailed the village's crops, the next covered the herbs, followed by the section on medicines, and finally, the strategies for defense. Each document represented a crucial part of her responsibilities, from managing the village's resources to overseeing its safety and well-being.

Serena examined the documents one by one, her eyes widening with admiration at how, despite their seclusion in the forest, the community was so meticulously managed.