Chapter 19: Unanticipated Bond

Blasting music in my room, trying to drown out my spiraling thoughts, I remembered my aunt Jenna. She's a therapist, Mom's sister. They don't talk much because of Dad, but she might be exactly what I need right now.

Too lazy to change out of my comfy clothes, I grabbed my keys and headed downstairs. As I was on my way to the car, Mom called out, stopping me in my tracks. Seriously, what now?

"Dena, I don't know how many times I'm going to apologize to you, but I am sorry," her voice was thick with regret.

"You know what? It's all cool, Mom. I don't even wanna discuss that right now."

"Do you forgive me? At least let me know that."

"Well, I forgive both of you. But if you can't forgive yourself for what was done, then truly all is not forgiven. Be a parent and get yourself right."

"You're absolutely right," she admitted, looking utterly defeated.

"I know I am, but I gotta go now."

I walked away, leaving her standing there, a mess of guilt and confusion. Time to see Aunt Jenna and get my life back on track. Therapy might just be the first step in reclaiming my sanity.

I wished she hadn't brought all that up right before therapy. I'd forgiven my parents for everything they'd put me through, but the memories still haunted me. Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting, and that's why I'm seeking help, to finally heal from all the pain that's been weighing me down.

Jumping into my car, ready to drive off, trying to shake the heavy feeling in my chest. I saw Anthony coming toward me but couldn't handle any more drama. I sped off before he could reach me, my mind racing with turmoil. Tears threatened to spill, but I refused to let them fall. Instead, I cranked up the volume and sang my heart out, not caring about the strange looks from other drivers. They couldn't possibly understand what I was going through.

When I finally reached Aunt Jenna's office, the place was packed. I made my way inside, searching for her. After what felt like forever, I found her, and she looked surprised to see me.

"Dena, what are you doing here?" Jenna asked, her voice full of concern.

"Hey, Aunty. I'm just here to see you and talk about my problems."

"Okay, come have a seat and tell me what's on your mind."

I sat down, my heart pounding like a drum. Jenna noticed my anxiety and quickly handed me a bottle of water. She calmed me down, but I was still feeling overwhelmed.

"What's going on, Dena? Is everything alright at home?" she asked gently.

"Not really. Mom and Dad are getting a divorce, and it's been really hard on me. Then there's this situation with Deanesh," I replied, my voice cracking.

"That's a lot to deal with. Why are they pinning their problems on you? You're just a kid. And Deanesh, isn't she your best friend?" Jenna asked, looking concerned.

"I don't know. I just need help. And Deanesh? She's my ex-best friend now. We'll get into that later."

"Okay, no problem. I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you as much as I should have been. Whatever dispute your mom and I had shouldn't have interfered with our relationship. I should've been there for you and your brother."

"It's okay, Aunty."

"No, it's not. I warned your mother about your father, but she didn't listen. And look where we are now. But I don't want you to dwell on their divorce too much. I can see you're in a lot of pain, and it's okay to cry and let out your frustrations. Holding all of that inside will only make you angrier."

Her words hit me hard, and I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. I broke down, sobbing uncontrollably. Aunt Jenna came over and hugged me, offering the comfort I desperately needed.

"That's right, let it out. It's okay," she soothed.

"Aunty, it's just that too much has been on my mind lately. It's all too much, and I don't know what to do," I confessed through my tears.

"I understand. You've had so much on your plate. But don't focus on the negative and the bad things that have happened. Distract yourself with a hobby or something you love. I know it's hard, but when you do, you'll feel so much better. I promise."

"I'll see what I can do, Aunty," I replied, feeling a glimmer of hope amidst the chaos.

After chatting with Aunt Jenna and absorbing her advice (well, most of it), I made my exit. As grateful as I was for her professional insights, forgiving Deanesh wasn't something I was ready to do. That girl was a walking tornado of drama. Forgive her today, and she'd stir up trouble tomorrow. So, yeah, forgiveness wasn't exactly on my to-do list.

Leaving the therapy session, I realized I hadn't eaten in forever. My stomach growled in agreement as I headed to a nearby restaurant. Just my luck, I spotted Anthony there. Not wanting to deal with his questions, I quickly grabbed some takeout and bolted.

Back home, I indulged in my meal, avoiding any deep conversations with my mom. I needed time to digest everything, both literally and figuratively. Then, exhaustion hit me like a ton of bricks. Despite not paying for therapy (thanks, Aunt Jenna), it had taken its toll.

I drifted off into an uneasy sleep, only to be rudely awakened by a persistent knocking on my window. And who else but Anthony? Seriously, what was he doing here?

"What are you doing?" My concerned tone cut through the night.

"Rescuing you, of course," he replied, his eyes fixed on mine.

"From what?"

"From looking so damn sad. I couldn't just leave you like that."

I brushed off his concern, insisting I was fine. But Anthony wasn't buying it. With a subtle lip bite and a step closer, he called my bluff. Suddenly, the air between us crackled with tension. I felt myself drawn to him, the urge to kiss him almost overpowering.

But then, reality slapped me in the face. Deanesh. I couldn't let my guard down, not with her lurking in the shadows.

"Hmm, seems like you were gonna kiss me a while ago," Anthony teased, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes, trying to play it cool. "You're out of your mind."

Undeterred, he pressed on, wanting to know what was really going on with me. So, I spilled it all—the family drama, the heartache, the chaos. And, to my surprise, he listened. Really listened. Then, in a move that caught me off guard, he pulled me into a hug. In that moment, everything felt... right.

As we pulled away, our eyes locked, and before I knew it, we were kissing. It was electric, undeniable. Anthony was my weakness, no doubt about it.

"So, how about I take you out tomorrow night?" he proposed, his voice tinged with hope.

My heart raced. Was he asking me out on a date?

"Yes, I am, so what do you say?" he continued.

I couldn't help but grin. "Omg, sure, I'm down."

"That's what I thought," he replied, a smirk playing on his lips.

This was definitely going to be interesting...