1. A Night to Remember

Mia's POV

The restaurant was buzzing with the sound of clinking glasses and murmured conversations, but I felt like I was in the middle of a storm. My date, Greg, had been talking non-stop about his latest business venture for the past hour, and my interest had evaporated somewhere between the first course and his detailed explanation of tax benefits.

I smiled politely, nodding at what I hoped were the right moments, but my mind was a million miles away. I glanced around the room, desperate for a distraction. That's when I noticed him. The waiter. Tall, dark hair, with a slight scruff that gave him a rugged look. He was weaving through the tables with practiced ease, his eyes catching mine for a brief moment. A flicker of something, maybe curiosity or amusement, passed between us before he turned away.

"Mia, are you even listening?" Greg's voice pulled me back to reality.

"Of course," I lied, forcing a smile. "You were saying about the...uh, return on investment?"

Greg beamed, clearly pleased with my feigned interest. "Exactly! The ROI is phenomenal. You see, with the right market strategy..."

His voice faded into the background again as I watched the waiter approach our table. He carried our main courses with a grace that belied the chaos of the restaurant. As he set the plates down, his eyes met mine again, and this time, I saw a hint of sympathy.

"Enjoy your meal," he said, his voice smooth and warm.

"Thank you," I replied, my smile genuine this time.

Greg barely acknowledged the waiter, too engrossed in his own monologue. I picked at my food, trying to muster some enthusiasm, but the evening felt like it was dragging on forever.

Ethan's POV

I had seen plenty of bad dates in my time as a waiter, but this one was a train wreck. The guy at table seven had been talking at his date for an hour straight, and she looked like she was ready to bolt. I couldn't blame her. He was the epitome of self-absorbed, and she deserved better.

When I brought out their main courses, I caught her eye again. There was something about her-maybe the way her eyes lit up despite the dull conversation, or the genuine gratitude in her smile-that made me want to help her escape.

"Enjoy your meal," I said, hoping she could hear the sincerity in my voice.

"Thank you," she replied, and for a moment, it felt like we were the only two people in the room.

As the night wore on, I kept an eye on table seven. She was clearly struggling, and I decided to take matters into my own hands. As I passed their table again, I pretended to trip, spilling a glass of water all over Greg's lap.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry!" I exclaimed, grabbing napkins and dabbing at the mess. "Let me get you another drink, on the house."

Greg jumped up, his face red with anger. "Watch where you're going, you idiot!"

"I'll take care of it right away, sir," I said, trying to maintain my composure. "Please, let me fix this."

He stormed off to the bathroom, and I turned to Mia, who was biting her lip to keep from laughing.

"Thank you," she whispered, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

I winked at her. "Anytime."

Mia's POV

As Greg stomped off, I couldn't help but laugh. The waiter-Ethan, according to his nametag-had given me the perfect opportunity to make my escape. I quickly grabbed my purse and stood up, heading for the exit.