2. Cooking Up Love

Sophie's POV

I glanced at the clock for the tenth time, my nerves getting the better of me. The kitchen was a whirlwind of activity, and the tantalizing aroma of garlic and herbs filled the air. Tonight was the night I had been preparing for all week. I was finally going to impress Ryan with my cooking skills.

Ryan and I had been friends for years, but recently, something had shifted. There was a spark between us, an unspoken connection that I was dying to explore. When he casually mentioned he loved Italian food, I saw my opportunity. I invited him over for a homemade dinner, determined to show him a side of me he hadn't seen before.

I checked the pasta sauce simmering on the stove and gave it a stir. It was rich and fragrant, just as I had hoped. I moved to the counter, where the dough for the garlic bread was rising. Everything had to be perfect. I wanted to impress him, to make him see that I could be more than just a friend.

As I prepped the salad, my phone buzzed with a message from Ryan. "On my way. Can't wait to see what you've cooked up! :)"

I smiled, feeling a flutter of excitement. I quickly set the table, lighting a few candles to create a cozy atmosphere. The doorbell rang just as I was putting the finishing touches on the table.

I took a deep breath, wiped my hands on my apron, and opened the door. There he was, looking effortlessly handsome in a casual shirt and jeans, his dark hair slightly tousled. He held a bottle of wine and a bouquet of flowers.

"Hey, Sophie," he said, his smile making my heart skip a beat. "These are for you."

"Thank you, Ryan," I replied, taking the flowers and stepping aside to let him in. "Come on in. Dinner's almost ready."

He followed me into the kitchen, looking around appreciatively. "Wow, it smells amazing in here. What are you making?"

"Just a little something special," I said with a wink. "I hope you're hungry."

"Starving," he said, setting the wine on the counter. "Can I help with anything?"

I shook my head. "Nope, just relax and enjoy. I've got everything under control."

We chatted as I put the finishing touches on dinner. The conversation flowed easily, just like it always did with Ryan. But tonight, there was an undercurrent of something more, something that made my pulse quicken every time our eyes met.

Ryan's POV

Walking into Sophie's apartment was like stepping into a haven of warmth and comfort. The delicious smells wafting from the kitchen only added to the cozy ambiance she had created. Sophie was always the type to go the extra mile, and tonight was no exception.

As I handed her the flowers and the wine, I couldn't help but admire how beautiful she looked. Her hair was pulled back in a loose bun, and she wore a simple dress that accentuated her natural beauty. I had always found her attractive, but recently, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more between us.

I watched as she moved around the kitchen with ease, her confidence and grace shining through. She was clearly in her element, and it was a side of her I hadn't seen before.

"So, what's on the menu?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Spaghetti carbonara with homemade garlic bread and a fresh garden salad," she replied, her eyes sparkling with pride.

"Sounds incredible," I said, meaning it. "You've really outdone yourself, Sophie."

She blushed slightly, turning back to the stove. "I just wanted to make something special for you."