3. Betting on Love

James's POV

College was my playground, and I was the king. Parties, hookups, and a bad boy reputation were my bread and butter. My friends and I thrived on excitement and dares, always looking for the next thrill. So when Aiden, my best friend and fellow troublemaker, brought up a bet, I was all ears.

"Fifty bucks says you can't get Grace Anderson to go out with you," Aiden said with a smirk, leaning back in his chair.

Grace Anderson was the epitome of a good girl—straight-A student, always volunteering, and never seen at any of our wild parties. She was beautiful, but she was also completely out of my league—or so everyone thought.

"Easy money," I replied, already planning my approach. I had no doubt I could win her over. After all, no girl had ever been able to resist my charm. But as I stood there, watching her across the quad, I realized this might be the toughest bet I'd ever taken.

Grace's POV

I loved college. The classes, the activities, the sense of community—it was everything I had hoped for. But I also knew to steer clear of the campus bad boys, especially James Parker. He was trouble, and I had no interest in getting caught up in his games.

That’s why I was surprised when he approached me one sunny afternoon. I was sitting under a tree, reading a book, when his shadow fell over me.

"Hey, Grace," he said, flashing me a smile that probably worked on a lot of girls. "Mind if I join you?"

I looked up, surprised. "Uh, sure, I guess."

He sat down next to me, and I couldn't help but feel a little uneasy. "What are you reading?"

"Pride and Prejudice," I replied, closing the book. "Why do you care?"

He chuckled, leaning back against the tree. "Just curious. I've seen you around, but we’ve never really talked."

"There’s a reason for that," I said, unable to hide the edge in my voice.

He raised an eyebrow. "Oh? And what reason is that?"

"You're not exactly known for your stellar reputation," I said bluntly. "I'd rather not get involved in whatever trouble you're brewing."

He laughed again, but there was a softness in his eyes that I hadn’t expected. "Fair enough. But maybe you're judging me too quickly."

"Maybe," I admitted, surprised at my own honesty. "But you haven't given me much reason to think otherwise."

"Well, how about we start fresh?" he suggested, holding out his hand. "Hi, I'm James."

I hesitated for a moment before taking his hand. "Grace."

James's POV

Winning Grace over was supposed to be a game, but as I spent more time with her, I found myself genuinely enjoying her company. She was smart, funny, and had a way of seeing the world that was completely different from anyone I'd ever met.

We started hanging out more, studying together, grabbing coffee, and talking about everything from our favorite movies to our biggest fears. She was opening up to me, and I was finding it harder and harder to remember why I had taken the bet in the first place.

One evening, after a long study session, I walked her back to her dorm. We stood outside, the campus quiet and peaceful around us.

"Thanks for helping me with that assignment," she said, smiling up at me.