Chapter 11 Afraid

A few days later, Irvin came up to Peter, "Your majesty, there is something I need to ask you privately."

He eyed Armand, who was leaning against the railing.

"Yes," he nodded; he led him to his office, closing the door behind them, "What did you want?"

"It's about your sister, Verity," he began, walking around the room, "I love her and I want to ask for her hand in marriage."

Peter wasn't too pleased with Irvin's boldness, "You barely know her and she doesn't feel the same way."

"You can't decide how your sister feels, Peter, and I know she does. I can tell," Irvin replied.

"She's only 17; no, I can't give her to you," Peter shook his head.

"But you won't refuse a duel?" Inquired Irvin, "Surely you know you'll have to give away that fair sister of yours one day. All four of them, I'm sure of that."

Peter clenched his jaw, "I can assure you, Irvin, that there is no point. I'll win, as I have led armies. As for you, you have only used a sword when necessary."

"Is that what you think?" Scoffed Irvin.

"Excuse me," in came Armand, "I believe I should also take part in this duel."

Peter and Irvin exchanged amused looks.

"I daresay, Armand, it wouldn't be called a duel, if you took part," commented Irvin.

"I have a solution; you two will fight first," Peter pointed at them both, "Then the winner will go against me."

"Agreed," Armand nodded. Shaking Irvin's hand, then Peter's, "But let's wait a few days, shall we."

"And don't inform Verity about this," Peter answered, he knew how his sister wouldn't like this. As the two men left. Peter was very confident he'd win, and besides, Verity would refuse them both. He knew how she was.

Verity's pov

"Verity!" Armand called to me; I was up at the helm talking to Edmund, "I see you have some duelling skills."

"Well, thanks for the compliment," I answered formally, "What do you want?"

Armand got on his knees in front of me. Edmund had that over-protective look on his face.

"Your majesty, I got in a predicament with Irvin and he wants to sort it out with a duel," he explained, "But the problem is I don't know how to use a sword."

My brother had a smirk on his face, but I punched him in the arm.

"Well, I'm not surprised. You lived all your life in a sheltered home. Your father is a prince; of course, you found no need to defend yourself," I said to him coolly.

"So you'll teach me?" He asked.

"Yes, we start now," I unsheathed my sword. Edmund grabbed my arm, "He probably just wants to...." I shook his arm away.

"You stay here, Ed, and watch," I answered.

"But we're on a boat," protested Armand, "Surely..."

I laughed, "Oh dear me, Armand, you shouldn't be afraid of the crew's comments of your inexperience. Where's your sword."

Edmund handed him his. The fellow didn't know what to do.

"Now,  Armand, hold it with one hand, not two," I explained.

"Yes, your majesty," he nodded.

Our swords met. Mine clashed against his, which he dropped, and he fell to the ground.

"You'll never beat Irvin if you do it like that," I told him,

We tried a few more times and Armand improved a little, but not better than me.

A crowd had gathered and was laughing at Armand's poor skills. After we finished, Susan came up to me.

"Why, were you sword fighting with Armand?" She asked.

"The fellow was facing a duel with Irvin. I don't want him to be embarrassed," I explained, sheathing my sword.

"I think you embarrassed him yourself," commented Susan.

"He only wanted help," I answered.

Susan smiled, "Or you like him."

I blushed, "I don't, alright. I shouldn't have to make it clear."

I left and went to my room. And sat down on my bed, when Ruth came in.

"Did you hear what the duel was really about?" Ruth asked.

"No," I replied, "Probably some of their ridiculous disputes."

Ruth raised her eyebrows, "Well, I think it's over a certain young queen they both fell over heels for."

I laughed, "Well, they won't have me. I'm not interested."

"Susan would think it would be romantic," Ruth said.

"Oh, that word. In school, I failed a test for not writing one romance with a capital R and the other not. There's a difference for some weird reason." I answered annoyed.

Ruth began to laugh, "You've got to be joking!"

"I'm not; I mean, what difference does it make? It's foolishness, that's what," I got up and left my room, and Ruth followed, "I've other things to do than get caught up in a duel."

3rd person Peter

"You won't believe what Armand did!" Exclaimed a furious Irvin.

"What?" Peter asked, leaning forward in his chair.

"He didn't know a thing about sword fighting, so now Verity is teaching him," Irvin informed him.

Peter got to his feet," Does she know?"

"Know what?" Verity walked in, apple in hand. She sat down on Peter's desk.

"Nothing," Peter shook his head, and he looked over at Irvin. He didn't like the way he looked at his sister. He didn't like it when any man showed an interest in any of his sisters.

"Could I talk to Verity alone?" Irvin whispered to Peter.

Peter looked over at his sister, who seemed unaware of the situation. Something else was on her mind.

"No," Peter grabbed his sister's  arm, "We have something else to talk about." He leads her out of the room.

Verity was surprised at his behaviour," Peter, what do you want?"

"I'm tired of seeing you in this state. I thought we had fixed everything," he told her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Peter, I can't tell you," she sighed.

"I know you're in danger," he took her hand, "Who is this Birsha?"

Verity's face fell, "How do you know? You shouldn't know this."

"As your older brother, I have to protect you and when..." he explained.

Verity shook with sobs, he took her in his arms.

"I can't tell you, and that's what scares me the most," she shivered in his arms.

"It's alright," he comforted her.

"It's not it's beyond my control and yours too." Peter held her tighter running his hand up and down her back."Only Aslan can help me."