Chapter 12 Caught!

We found ourselves on another island. There are no inhabitants, but We explored it anyway.
One day, while our party had gone ahead. Armand asked to talk to me.
"Thanks for showing me how to use a sword," he told me, "You saved me a humiliation."
"I didn't mind," I shrugged my shoulders.
"Or maybe it was more," he reached out and touched my cheek, "It was more for me."
"What do you mean?" I looked up at him.
He took my hands in his, "I need to tell you something. I should have a while ago. I love you."
I stiffened; why was I stuck in this predicament?
He bent down and was about to kiss me. When I shoved him away.
"Armand, please, I'm not ready for this!"
I ran away, Armand following me close behind.
"Verity, I'm sorry!" He shouted, "I just had to tell you the truth."
I climbed up a tree, so he wouldn't see me. He walked right under me. When he was out of sight, I jumped down and decided to find a secluded place where I could think. I had found a cave yesterday. I'd stay there for a few hours. One thing I knew I was angry at Armand.
Making my way to the cave, I climbed into the entrance, hugging my knees and crying. Then I heard the voice that had been haunting me for months.
"Milady, why are you crying?"
Birsha! I stood up. Lord Alaric and Birsha were in the cave, a few other men with them.
"Birsha," I replied coldly, crossing my arms.
"There she is, Alaric, our little spy," chuckled Birsha.
I stiffened my shoulders, "I believe you were spying on us."
"On the contrary, milady, that was my job," he answered his lips curling in that sinister grin.
"Take her," Alaric ordered.
I unsheathed my sword and knocked out the man closest to me, running out of the cave.
"Peter!" I shouted, "Edmund!"
I looked behind, Birsha and Alaric's men were chasing me. I headed to the woods, hiding behind a tree, then walking to the other side, but Alaric's men were waiting there. I turned around, and two of them grabbed me by the arms. They lead me to Birsha.
"Very foolish, Queen Verity, I must say. They call you the intelligent, but you seem to be as stupid as a mule."
"For your information, Tarkaan Birsha, a mule is not stupid, they're stubborn. Which..." I kicked one fellow's shin and hit the other in the face with my fist.
"I can be most of the time," I grinned, running away.
"After her!" Birsha shouted, "And don't let her play any tricks!"
I looked behind me, they were in hot pursuit after me.
"Verity!" I heard my brothers yell."Where are you?"
I saw my brothers coming towards me. They had the most confused look on their faces.
"What has she gotten into now," I heard Edmund groan.
Peter grabbed my arm and pulled me behind him. They pointed their swords at Birsha and Alaric's men.
"By what means do you chase my sister?" Peter asked coldly.
Alaric emerged from behind a bush, "She's a spy," he explained, "She must die, as is the consequence for treason."
This made me flinch; Edmund wrapped an arm around me, and I buried my head in his side.

"So you think she'll spoil it for you," he replied, "She hasn't told us a thing."

"What she knows already is against her," Birsha answered.

I cried softly, "I'm sorry," I told my brothers.

"It isn't your fault," Peter told me, he looked back at them, "Take me instead."

Alaric laughed, "You know it doesn't work that way. You could find countless offences to accuse you of treason as well. Not even your lion. Besides that brother of yours didn't deserve what that lion did for him."

"Maybe you're right," Edmund agreed with them, "then you can kill me if I didn't deserve this."

"Ed, no," I grabbed his arm, "Yes, you might have not deserved it, but he did it anyways."

"We want Queen Verity and that's final," Alaric said firmly.

"You won't have her," Peter answered stubbornly.

"You have until tomorrow to make your decision," Alaric returned, "Or you're never leaving this island."

"Peter, Edmund, Verity!" I looked up, and the rest of our party came up to us. Susan Ruth and Lucy readied their bows and our men their swords.

"What's  going on?" Irvin asked.

"Queen Verity has committed treason against Calormene," Birsha informed them," The penalty is death."

Lucy and Ruth gasped, I avoided their gazes.

"Why?' Armand asked.

Alaric laughed, "It's just the way it works. You have until tomorrow to make your decision." He and Birsha left.

Edmund let go of me, and Peter drew me to his chest and hugged me tightly.

"I'm sorry," I cried, "I just had been suspicious of Birsha, so I spied on them and...."

"We'll talk about this later," Peter kept an arm around me as we walked back to the longboats," I won't let them hurt you."

"Only Aslan can help us," I  answered, "I've talked to him and ever since he made my burdens light, but I'm still scared."

Peter squeezed my hand, "Then why be afraid if you know that he can help you?"

I hung my head in shame. In our world, Jesus invited us to come, and he will give us rest. Have I fully received that rest?

"Lord, I know who you are in this world and please give me the rest that you offer." I prayed