Unexpected encounters (chapter one)

In the bustling New York streets, we catch a glimpse of Alex, the determined and ambitious CEO, hurrying to a coffee shop to meet a potential investor for his company. Meanwhile, on the opposite side of town, we find Maya, a creative and free-spirited artist, engrossed in her sketch with a steaming cup of coffee at her side.

As Alex enters Gregory's coffee shop on 874 6th Ave in Midtown Manhattan, he spots a young woman in her early twenties, wearing a long floral skirt and a white blouse, deeply engrossed in her sketch in the corner. He gazes at her for a moment before making his way towards her. "Excuse me, miss, are you Maya York?" he inquired in what appeared a quiet manner, noticing her unwavering focus on her artwork. "Excuse me," he says louder and puts his hands on the wobbly table, causing the coffee beside Maya to spill all over her sketchbook. As soon as this happens, Maya quickly looks up at the man who just ruined not only her sketchbook but her peace. "Sir, I don't know who you are, but you just ruined my book," she said in disbelief. However, Alex seemed like he couldn't care less and just continued to look at her. "There's no reason to make such a fuss. I mean, how much is this, 4 dollars maybe?" he stated as he picked up the book. Maya scoffed, clearly thinking, "Who does this man think he is?".

Maya then notices Alex taking a seat across from her. "So once again, are you Maya York?" he said, clearly sounding annoyed. "Yes, and you are?" she replied back in the same manner. "I'm Alex Jones," he said, shaking her hand. "Right, I was told I would be meeting you here, just didn't expect it to be like this," she said with a forced laugh. However, Alex only looked at her with a stern face, causing her to glance around in embarrassment.

Alex, still annoyed by the spilled coffee and Maya's initial reaction, directly addressed the issue, "Look, I understand you're upset, but we need to maintain a professional environment to work effectively." After a brief silence, Maya sighed and put on a fake smile, "No worries, let's move past this and focus on the business at hand." Alex nodded in agreement.

"Well, I have to admit, that's one way to make an entrance!" Maya laughed, trying to lighten the mood, but Alex remained serious. "That was a joke, by the way," she clarified, looking at him. "Let's shift our focus to discussing the project," Alex said, brushing off her attempt at humor. Maya could only sigh in agreement.

Mayas pov
As I walked back home in the scorching streets of Manhattan, I couldn't shake off the tension from my encounter with Mr. Jones. "What an idiot," I muttered under my breath, feeling a bit frustrated. Looking down at the ruined sketchbook that had been my loyal companion for years, I couldn't help but wonder if Mr. Jones would make things difficult for me. Despite my concerns, I found myself admiring his professionalism. It was clear that I needed to gather my thoughts and brace myself for any challenges that might come my way in working with Mr. Jones.