Navigating Tension (Chapter 2)

As I hurried my way to Jones Art Agency, I must confess I'm running a tad behind schedule, but my morning wouldn't be complete without my iced coffee. The weather in New York City appears a bit dreary today. With each step in my Manolo Blahnik Mary Janes, memories of my first meeting with Alex Jones flood my mind.

As i stop in my tracks and gaze at the towering building ahead, I let out a sigh, mentally preparing myself to face the challenging man waiting for me. "Hello, I'm Maya York. I'm here for a meeting with Alex Jones," I inform the woman at the front desk.  "His office is all the way on the top floor. "He should be waiting for you there." With a small smile, I head towards the elevator, but just as I step in, a familiar face joins me.

I was a bit surprised to see Sarah, a girl I was with in high school a few years ago. "Maya? I haven't seen you in so long. You look surprisingly good," she remarked. Hm, so she hasn't changed at all, I thought to myself. "Yeah, it's been a few years since the last time we spoke," I said, faking a smile. "See, I heard about your work. It just never crossed my mind that it would actually be you," she said, laughing loudly. "Well, here I am."

"Good luck with Alex; he can be difficult to work with, and you're the type to irritate him, you know," Sarah said with a smile as we exited the elevator. Sarah is one of those people who bring out an inner rage in you that you didn't even know was there. All I managed to say was, "Thank you for the advice." "Oh, no need to, but I have to get back to working. Before I go, I just want to say congrats to you for making it this far. Who would've thought!" she said as she walked away and blew me a kiss.

As I stepped into Mr jones office , Sarah's words about Alex being a tough person to work with echoed in my mind. I saw Alex at his desk, completely engrossed in his work, his expression serious. I gathered my thoughts and approached him, trying to maintain a professional demeanor. The atmosphere between us was thick with tension, a silent acknowledgment of the potential challenges ahead.