WANING CRESCENT

QUEST OBJECTIVE: Obtain a hundred breath mints. 

— V A L ' S H A R A H —

"No dying," croaked the raven on Eona's shoulder.

"Don't take any risks," said Anduin. He was unrecognizable beneath layers of stained brown clothes (borrowed from the bandits of Elwynn Forest).

"Oh! Good one!" Khadgar cawed.

Eona rolled her eyes. They stood in an innocent-looking clearing, sprawling with yellow wildflowers. A butterfly floated by on blue gossamer wings. Sunlight shimmered through the canopy of leaves, lighting them up like jade gems.

Eona chose Val'Sharah as her first invasion point. The inviting forest soothed Khadgar and Anduin's concerns. It was also her best chance to avoid Nathanos, who, naturally, hated everything living and lively. The undead ranger spearheaded an invasion from the opposing side of the Broken Isles, far away from her.
"I know you have more important things to do." Eona looked from the hooded figure beside her to the ominous bird on her shoulder.

"More important than ensuring your safety?" Khadgar's beak swiveled towards her. His beady black eyes unnerved her as he stared. He had a way of looking into her soul in this form. "There could be tons of enemies nearby!"

A few yards away, a young fawn galloped noiselessly to a gurgling stream. The small creature bent its delicate neck and lapped at the waters.

"Oh yes, the threat level is high," said Eona.

Khadgar's beak nudged her nose, planted right on her x-shaped scar. "If you need me, summon the ball."

"The locals are going to adore that, me talking to your floating head." Eona's face already burned from embarrassment.

The feathers on Khadgar's chest puffed up, as if he were standing tall and proud. "Stay safe! That is an order! Anduin, I will see you at the strategy meeting later."

"Yes, sir!"

Khadgar's talons bit into Eona's shoulder as he launched himself into the air. He soared above the treetops, becoming a black spec in seconds.

"Can't he teleport?" Anduin's face scrunched up with worry.

"He can. He's just dramatic."

"Ah. So it runs in the family."

Eona winked at him. They laughed, but it didn't quite sound right. It wasn't Anduin's rich, melodic laugh from a week ago. She missed it already.

Anduin looked around the grove. "Who's supposed to meet you here?"

"Shandris."

There was the slightest change in Anduin's expression; a twitch between his brows. He smoothed out the wrinkle quickly. If she hadn't known him so well, she would've dismissed it.

"What's wrong?" said Eona.

"Nothing." Anduin's response was quick. "I just wish I could stay with you. I don't know when I'll see you again."

Eona took a step closer. She was so close, the green glow of her eyes lit up his face beneath his hood. Anduin looked eerie bathed in emerald.

"I'll miss you. I'll come see you as soon as I can," she said.

Anduin paused. She could feel the presence of whatever he was thinking, how it lingered on the tip of his tongue. "What's on your mind, Prince Dandelion?"

Anduin shook his head. They used to use code names for each other in their letters: she was Pink Rose, and he was Prince Dandelion. Perhaps the nickname wasn't relevant anymore. Prince was becoming outdated, Eona realized with a cringe.