METEORITE

QUEST OBJECTIVE: Get a mop.

— M O N T H S    L A T E R —

Time passes, even in slow agony and belittled progress. Eona staggered across the Broken Isles with the haphazardness of an asylum patient, seeking Pillars of Creation, bringing heads of broken bodies to Sylvanas, and enduring distasteful looks from Nathanos all the while. In spare moments of quiet, rereading tear-blotted letters closed with blue wax, Chromie would randomly appear. Eona would find herself in another place, at another time, where invisible hands weaved monstrosities in history.

Joy didn't seem to exist, aside from the fleeting adrenaline of slicing off a demon's head. The smooth baritone lurking in Eona's mind growled with appreciation.

Eona hadn't heard much from Anduin. When she imagined his melodic voice speaking each word, it was choked and somber. Every time she tried to write back to him, she was pulled away to face a demon attack or save Chromie's life. She would find her half-finished letter weeks later, scratching out details, forming a new one, when another interruption began.

It was safer that way, even if the silence ached. There was one good thing about Anduin's title as king, and that was it was easy to learn if he was still alive. Eona's jaw clenched, thinking about Anduin tending to an entire kingdom, with the absence of Varian all around him.

Thunder snarled as Eona's footsteps squelched into the Violet Hold. In a way, the rain was welcome: it helped wash some of the demon blood off. But her olive-green coat and the leather armor underneath were soaked through.

"— it's a flamboyant plan, if any. What, we take this stranger on rumors?"

"The First Arcanist wants the demons dead as much as we do. It can't hurt to investigate."

Khadgar's voice was easily distinguished from the small gathering of the Council of Six Magi. There was far less inflection in her father's words than Eona remembered. Kalec's blue tresses also stood out among the crowd.

Magic-users weren't the only ones in attendance. Nathanos was at Sylvanas' side, armed with a glare. Kayn lingered on the outskirts. He was the only one to notice Eona's presence thus far, and bowed his head in her direction.

Eona's wet footsteps stopped as her gaze fell upon a blond ponytail.

Andy.

Against her will, Eona's stare lingered on Anduin's back. Long, arduous months of Anduin being half a world away, and now he was suddenly ten steps before her. Her body tensed with the urge to run and embrace him, to inhale his calming scent of incense and lavender, to feel his soft skin against her cheek.

Then her eyes drifted to Sylvanas. Nathanos was watching her.

Eona's fantasy strangled her heart. Bad idea. Bad idea. The longer I'm in a room with him, the more at risk I put us. I should walk away —

Eona turned on her heel. A puddle had collected on the floor from standing still, and her boot squeaked loudly across the tile.

"Eon...?" Khadgar's voice called out to her.

Eona grimaced while facing the other way, then turned back. Everyone was looking at her. As the seconds passed, their expressions paled. Mortified.

The urge to look at Anduin rose, but Eona resisted. She felt his eyes on her, watching the outline of blue and gold shift. Was he just as disgusted as the others?

Eona approached the group, her soaked clothes suddenly feeling a lot heavier as they clung to her skin.

"Hi," said Eona, who could no longer bear the combination of utter silence and looks of horror. She clasped her hands in front of her. Every time she moved, there was a wet squelch.