ASCENSION

QUEST OBJECTIVE: Use a blindfold (and arm yourself with holy water)!

— S U R A M A R —

"You look nice."

"But is it believable?"

First Arcanist Thalyssra's thin fingers tucked Eona's hair aside. "I think so."

The stone walls of Thalyssra's hideout took every whisper and magnified it. Eona was thankful for the dark halls. She had adorned disguises for work before, but this one was...different.

Red-violet silk clung to Eona's skin like rain. When the fabric rippled, it captured the light of objects nearby, a rapid flash like lightning. She fidgeted beneath Thalyssra's unfamiliar, light touches.

Thalyssra straightened the mask on Eona's face. That was the most important piece. Once on, bright arcane illusions complimented her facade; in this case, with shimmering butterfly wings.

"Was this common during Azshara's reign?" the infamous queen's name felt like sandpaper in Eona's mouth.

Thalyssra's fingers froze. Perhaps it was rude to prod. From what Eona heard of the emotionally abusive, narcissistic, over-sized squid of a ruler, Azshara had manipulated her way into her people's hearts.

Eona couldn't help thinking of one person she knew who had been so close to the queen. Did she wear the same mask and silky dresses? Did she feel beautiful?

She was Azshara's handmaiden. I'm sure she felt like the farthest thing from beautiful, even if she was one of the most stunning women to walk the earth.

"Sometimes," Thalyssra admitted. She smoothed out the glossy sleeves of the ground with less delicate strokes than before. "Azshara liked to be surrounded by pretty things. But the trick was to never outshine her. If you did, you were dead."

Thalyssra frowned at the span of Eona's shoulders peeking out from the dress. "Your freckles may be a problem. Treat them like makeup if you can. You're very...sun-touched in appearance. But it's a masquerade, so others will think of it as a costume."

Eona nodded, swallowing. She was still imagining a fancy room from thousands of years ago, where masked figures prowled, bodies distorted by arcane into exotic creatures. A maskless monster with sky-blue skin stood tall in the center.

Footsteps knocked on the cave walls. Thalyssra turned away from Eona. "Ah, you're the Alliance representative, I assume?"

"Yes."

Eona spun at the familiar melodic voice. Even with the mask, it was easy to recognize him. Anduin was draped in the same burnt violet as her. His silver enchanted mask emitted wispy antlers from his forehead.

Thalyssra straightened Anduin's tight-fitting robes as she did with Eona. Anduin's gaze remained fixed on Eon. She wondered if he could see her blush through the mask and the gloom.

"Be careful interacting with others," said Thalyssra. "If you are discovered and must defend yourself, they cannot find a corpse. The evening will not go in your favor if they do."

Eona and Anduin nodded. Thalyssra stepped away from them and raised her glowing fingers, summoning a portal. The spasms of air echoed along the chamber.

Casting nervous glances at Thalyssra, Eona approached Anduin as nonchalantly as she could. She bit down on her lip to contain her smile, but it didn't work. "What happened to the Alliance champion?"

"They deserve a night off," said Anduin. His voice was low. "I'd rather be here with you. I haven't seen you or left Stormwind in months...you look stunning."