Chapter 21: The Escape

Lia's heart pounded as the military vehicle raced through the darkened streets of Manila. She clung to her seat, trying to process the whirlwind of events that had just unfolded. The chaotic escape from the hospital replayed in her mind like a frantic movie scene—the blaring sirens shouted commands and rush of adrenaline.

"Nasaan si Ethan Marsden?" she muttered under her breath, her eyes darting to the side mirror, scanning for any sign of pursuit. When she last saw him, another woman was clinging to him.

Beside her, a soldier spoke urgently into his radio, relaying orders in rapid succession. Lia strained to catch fragments of the conversation, enough to sense the urgency in his voice.

"Ma'am, are you alright?" tanong ng sundalo, pinutol ng boses nito ang magulong pag-iisip niya.

Tumango si Lia, pilit na ngumiti. "Yes, just... worried about someone."

Bahagyang lumambot ang ekspresyon ng sundalo, marahil ay nakilala ang takot na nakaukit sa mukha ni Lia. Why did he risk so much? What had he kept from her all this time?

Ang sasakyan ay biglang lumiko sa isang makitid na eskinita, ang mga gulong ay tumitili sa semento. Kusang humigpit ang pagkakahawak ni Lia sa upuan, ang kanyang puso ay lumulutang sa kanyang dibdib. Sumilip siya sa bintana, sinusubukang maunawaan ang kanilang ruta, ngunit ang mga kalye ay isang maze ng madilim na ilaw na mga gusali at malilim na sulok.

"Where are we going?" Tanong ni Lia na may bahid ng pangamba sa boses.

The soldier glanced at her briefly, his eyes unreadable behind the visor of his helmet. "A safe location," he replied cryptically, his attention returning to the radio in front of him.

Bumilis ang pulso ni Lia. Nangangahulugan ang isang ligtas na lokasyon na maaaring naroon din si Ethan—o maaaring mangahulugan ito na dinadala sila sa ibang lugar. Napalunok siya ng mariin, ang kanyang mga iniisip ay isang ipoipo ng kawalan ng katiyakan at takot.

Habang ang sasakyan ay nagpatuloy sa paglalakbay sa labyrinthine na mga lansangan ng lungsod, saglit na ipinikit ni Lia ang kanyang mga mata, tahimik na nagdarasal na kung saan man sila magtungo, si Ethan ay ligtas.She thought back to their early days together, the ease with which they connected, and the warmth of his laughter. How had they ended up here, in the middle of a dangerous game they barely understood?

"Nandito sila," one voice crackled through the static.

Kumunot ang noo ni Lia. The soldiers seemed to be discussing a possible location or a sighting, but their cryptic messages left her more puzzled than informed.

"Ano ang meron sa location na 'yon?" she dared to ask, her voice a mix of concern and intrigue.

The soldier beside her glanced at Lia, his expression guarded. "I can't disclose any information, ma'am," he replied, careful not to reveal too much.

She nodded, though her mind raced with questions. Were they heading towards Ethan, or away from him? And why was she now a target too? Was it because she had helped Ethan?

The vehicle turned sharply into a narrow street, its tires crunching over debris scattered across the pavement. Lia gripped the edge of her seat, her eyes scanning the dimly lit buildings that seemed to close in around them.

"Malapit na tayo," the soldier beside her finally offered, his voice low and tinged with a hint of reassurance.

Lia nodded again, though her apprehension only grew. Nang biglang tumigil ang sasakyan sa harap ng isang di-pangkaraniwang gusali, sinalubong si Lia ng isang malupit na mukha na sundalo at matapos itong sumaludo sa kanya ay dinala siya sa loob ng command center na puno ng aktibidad. Napansin niya si Major Ocampo sa gitna ng mga opisyal, na kumumpirma sa kanya ng isang maikling pagbaling bago bumalik sa kanyang mga kausap.