Health Camp

•~~~~~~~•

Ekaksha groaned, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes while still laying on the comfort of her soft bed and blanket, not wanting to wake up.

"Oh godddd! Why do I need to wake up?" She asked staring at her plain white ceiling. She stretched before cracking her knuckles and checking the time on her huge wall clock.

"Oh shoot-! I totally forgot" She screamed, "I will get lateee. Rocky! It's all your fault ugh. I hate you" She threw the blanket off herself and rushed to the bathroom to get ready.

After sometime,

"God please send a taxi as soon as possible," She prayed trying to wear an earring, her mouth stuffed with a sandwich, hair tied in a messy braid while trying to look for some important files.

"Got them," She exclaimed grabbing the file and stuffing it inside her bag and rushing out of the house. She ran through the cramped road in front of her house looking for a taxi.

••••••

"I am so sorry sir! I don't know how-I uh slept in" She apologized bowing down a little. "It's okay don't worry about it. They are waiting for you just go and good luck!" Her senior wished, pointing at the small van she is supposed to travel in.

"Thank you sir! I will do my best" She thanked before running towards the van where her coworkers were waiting for her. She smiled and wished everyone before getting on the van and sighed.

"Calm down Dr why are you so worked up?" One of her colleagues offered her water smiling warmly at her. "No, I am okay. Just got a little late. Sorry for that" She apologized grabbing the water and chugging it down.

"No worries"

Ekaksha smiled at her before taking out some files and discussing about the camp with her fellow doctors.

"Do we have all the required things for the camp?" She asked, "I'm sorry I was supposed to do all this but got stuck somewhere" She smiled a little remembering last night's encounter.

"Don't worry ma'am. The Dean has personally checked for all the equipment and our requirements too But..."

"But? But what doctor?" She asked.

"But I've heard that...that place is dangerous and we don't even have hotels to stay in"

"It's okay doctor. We will set up tents for our stay and it is our duty. The dean trusted us with it and he must have done some research before deciding to send us here. So don't worry nothing will happen to us" Ekaksha gave a reassuring smile looking at all of them while all of them nodded and continued their work.

"Doctor Ekaksha!" Ekaksha opened her eyes and looked around her surroundings. She nodded acknowledging her colleague and jumped off the van fixing her hair. She took a deep breath but coughed, inhaling the dust particles along with the air.

"We're here?" She looked around to see small huts and a small crowd of people walking here and there doing their own work. Her friend nodded.

Her heart broke at the sight in front of her, from children to old men and even pregnant ladies were working. They looked roughed up, no sign of healthy environment. Children were looking malnutritioned, people seemed weak and unhealthy and still they were working on the scorching heat just for the sake of basic needs like food and shelter.

"This Village isn't too far from the city" She looked at her college, "It's condition is too bad" She felt her pallu being tugged, looking down she saw a small girl. She wasn't more than eight years old.