Homeschooled to real school is hard (part1)

Amelia 14yo

Amelia sat in the back corner of her classroom, her fingers tapping absentmindedly on the wooden desk. The room buzzed with the low murmur of students whispering, the scratch of pencils on paper, and the distant hum of the air conditioning. Mrs.Thompson's voice droned on about the Pythagorean theorem, but Amelia wasn't listening. She was lost in her thoughts, thinking about her mother, Billie Eilish.

Ever since she could remember, Amelia had been homeschooled. It had always been her and Billie, moving through lessons together, their days filled with laughter, music, and learning. But a few months ago, Billie had decided that Amelia needed to attend regular school. With her career demanding more of her time, Billie believed it was best for Amelia to experience a more traditional education and to make new friends.

Amelia understood why her mom made the decision, but it didn't make her miss her any less. She often found herself daydreaming about their time together, especially during moments like this, when the monotony of the classroom felt stifling.

"Amelia? Amelia!" Mrs. Thompson's voice cut through her reverie.

Amelia snapped her head up, realizing everyone was staring at her. She felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"Yes, Mrs. Thompson?" she stammered.

"Can you come up to the board and solve this equation?" Mrs. Thompson asked, her tone gentle but firm.

Amelia nodded and stood up slowly, making her way to the front of the class. She could feel the eyes of her classmates on her, some curious, others indifferent. She took the piece of chalk from Mrs. Thompson and stared at the equation on the board, her mind blank.

"Take your time," Mrs. Thompson encouraged.

Amelia tried to focus, but the numbers blurred together. All she could think about was how much she missed Billie. How they used to sit together at the kitchen table, Billie patiently explaining math problems to her while humming a tune. How Billie would give her a reassuring smile whenever she struggled, making everything seem easier.

"I... I don't know," Amelia finally admitted, her voice barely above a whisper.

Mrs. Thompson gave her a sympathetic look and gestured for her to return to her seat. "That's okay, Amelia. We'll work on it together later."
Amelia walked back to her desk, her head down. She felt a lump forming in her throat, and she blinked back tears. She hated feeling so out of place and overwhelmed.

At lunchtime, Amelia sat alone at a table in the cafeteria, picking at her food. The chatter and laughter around her only made her feel more isolated. She pulled out her phone and opened her messages, scrolling through old conversations with Billie. She found one from the morning:

Billie: "Hey sweetie, have a great day at school! Remember, you're amazing and I love you so much. Can't wait to hear about your day later.❤️"

Amelia felt a pang of longing. She typed out a quick response:

Amelia: "I miss you, Mom. School is hard without you."

She hit send and waited, hoping for a quick reply. Moments later, her phone buzzed.

Billie: "I miss you too, baby. You're strong, remember that. I believe in you! I'll call you as soon as I'm done with my meeting. Love you!

Amelia smiled at the screen, feeling a bit of comfort. She put her phone away and tried to eat, but her appetite was gone.

The afternoon passed in a blur. Amelia struggled to pay attention in her classes, her mind constantly drifting back to Billie. By the time the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, she felt exhausted.