3. Oaths of Allegiance

Tenth of Harbinger

There was silence as the assembled mages absorbed the words of both Sashai and Brimur. The elf wasn't surprised. They were all aware of the world beyond the physical. Each of them dealt with the Arcane and their interventions in various ways. Lasiri did so in the most blatant manner. The Watchers were just that; an Order designed to track Arcane activity and end it when it violated appropriate bounds. The physical and the higher planes had a complicated relationship, one that had never been fully understood by Brimur or most of those present. The semi-divine beings acted in this world, of course, influencing events to their own advantage and building the numbers of their worshippers. The line between that and violation was blurry. For Ashelath, the rule had been simple; the banished Arcane was to have no activity outside very strict boundaries. His arrogance had pushed him to violate those bounds, and now he was dead. No one had even known that the Arcane could die until now.

The mages often served as the Arcane's instruments in a chaotic world. The reason for the Orders was to ensure that such power wasn't abused by either party in such arrangements. For one of their own to be sent by Ashelath to give him access to Narandir, a source of power shut off from the Arcane, was an utter betrayal of their oaths. By rights, Belkai should have been exiled at best – elimination was far more likely. Only the fact that she had killed Ashelath by her own hands could possibly ensure her continuing survival.

"She is cursed by the Arcane." The quiet voice belonged to a representative of the Correlate, a loose affiliation of sorcerers and witches from the southern tribes. His name was Grishwar, and his weathered and scarred face testified to his hard life. "Doubly cursed, in fact. To lead Ashelath to Narandir is damnable. And then to violate the Arcane, to do what no other has ever dared to do...it is unthinkable."

Brimur didn't speak, knowing that Grishwar had more to say. The southerner didn't wait long.

"This ultimately has little to do with Belkai herself. If it did, Ashelath's guardians would have been punished and the matter settled with Belkai being limited to the Forest."

"Ashelath's guardians were Yulen, Belamin, and Falkar." Sashai looked around the room as she spoke. "Of them, only Falkar remains. The Sons of Retribution killed the other two."

"I suspected as much," Grishwar said, nodding. "The signs have been in the stars. It makes sense. Most of you consider Delorax to be a spirit of justice. In the south we remember the older stories. What Delorax seeks above all is power. With Ashelath's death, he sees an opportunity to take Narandir via subterfuge and war. He thought Falkar's minions would be enough. More will now come."

"What is it you want us to swear, Brimur?" Lasiri asked. "Fealty to Narandir's lord?"

"Not entirely," Brimur assured her. "But Grishwar is right. Delorax is going to bring total war to Narandir. Belkai needs allies. She needs the mages. All of us."

"You may agree with my words, Brimur, but perhaps not my motivations," Grishwar told him. "We southerners have an older understanding of Delorax, and that makes us cautious. We hesitate to stand against him."

"Even when he threatens one of your own?" Brimur smiled at Grishwar's confusion. "Belkai was born amongst your tribes. Her parents could not conceive until Elkur intervened. For his graciousness, Belkai's family was exiled."

Grishwar looked at him for several long seconds. "You speak the truth?"

Brimur nodded.

"I once knew those parents. That child was marked by the gods. It is said that such a child will always carry death with him." Grishwar looked down, his face troubled. "If Belkai is the Exiled One, then she has the capability to destroy us all. Or save us. Delorax will push her to the former."