25. In Honour

First of Frostmaire

Syndra had never seen such a gathering before, despite the events of the past few months. She laid her bow against a tree and joined the others at the fire as the sky began to grow dark. It was coincidence that placed her beside the Aliri general, Faelin. The commander of the Svaletan forces, a general named Rilata, sat across the fire from them. Davos and Belkai were to Syndra's right, and they were joined by Loranna and a heavily bandaged Lithmae. The surviving mage leaders were seated nearby, bloodied and exhausted. The pure power represented by those gathered was shocking to Syndra, who was much more used to being around deer and wolves. Still, their shared experience of the day's warfare gave a relaxed atmosphere as they sought comfort in each other's company. As she sat down, Loranna was telling of Lithmae's feats while ignoring his attempts to stop her.

"So he throws me to the side and turns to see the serpent rushing at him. He leaps to the side and jams his sword into its eye as it tries to get him. With his free hand he takes his knife and begins just hacking away as it tries to shake him off."

"I don't remember it being quite so heroic," Lithmae said, wincing as he shifted. "All I did was keep it distracted until one of the Correlate mages showed up."

"That was me." A young mage awkwardly waved his hand. "It was already weakened when I got there."

"Then I owe you a debt." Lithmae bowed his head and smiled. Syndra glanced over as Faelin stood and cleared her throat. She wasn't wearing her armour, instead clothed in a dark skirt and white top. The fire seemed to reflect in her eyes as she raised her wine.

"Honour to Belkai, Lord of this Forest," she announced. All went silent and raised their own drinks. "It is an honour to stand by the one who defies the gods."

Her smile broadened. "And to stand by the one who made Falkar flee like a startled rabbit."

Syndra joined the cheer that arose, and wasn't surprised to see Belkai shake her head despite her smile. She rose and bowed to Faelin.

"The honour is mine, Faelin," Belkai said, "now that you have both saved my life, and my people. We welcome the aid of the Aliri, and of Svaleta."

The Svaletan General, Rilata, stood and raised his cup. "Svaleta will always stand by her friends."

Belkai waved for the generals to sit, then looked at the faces gathered before her. Syndra got the sense that she was reading their emotions.

"We gather as weary friends," Belkai called out. "We have fought together, bled together, lost brothers and sisters together. We did not start this war, but we have joined as one to end it.

"Falkar is wounded but not defeated. He is speaking with Delorax even now, preparing for their next stage. But we will not let them rest. Wexburg already marches on Nimura from the west. Faelin, Rilata, I ask you to strike from the north. I do not ask you to crush the dwarves, just keep them out of my Forest. I will join the Brilhardem and Ikari in Lustria. We will drive back Delorax's plans in the east, and we will end this fight."

A cheer rose, but Lasiri slowly stood. She waited until they fell silent, then spoke. "The Watchers will ride with you, Belkai. But what will we truly accomplish out there?"

"This is a war beyond anything we have seen before," Belkai answered. "But we must meet Delorax's armies wherever they rise, and drive them out out of every stronghold that they gain."

"To what end?" Lasiri asked. The corners of Belkai's mouth turned up in a grim smile.

"We force Delorax to intervene himself. And when he expects to destroy us, he will know Elkur's wrath for breaching his bounds."