11. Invasion

Nineteenth of Harbinger

At first Belkai didn't know what woke her. Davos was deep in sleep, his bare body stretched out beside her as always. She listened to his breathing and heartbeat, satisfying herself that he was alright. It hadn't been the dreams that woke her either, and she stayed motionless in the bed, Davos' skin against her own, as she listened to the sounds of the deep night. The Blackwings were out hunting, as were the immense insectoid creatures that Mishtar had formed. It seemed like a peaceful night. That occasioned a frown. She rolled over, wrapping a leg over Davos' hip and resting a hand on his chest. He grunted in his sleep, and one hand moved to rest on her thigh. She kissed his neck gently, then laid her head on his chest and closed her eyes, willing herself to go back to sleep. It didn't happen. Something was niggling at the back of her mind, a distant cry of alarm that didn't seem to have any grounding in reality. She gave an exasperated sigh and rolled off Davos, quietly lifting herself off the bed. She grabbed a black cloak from a hook on the wall and threw it over her shoulders before moving outside. She ignored the cool air of near winter blowing against her bare legs, closing her eyes as she focused on the sounds of the forest. Nothing was different from when she was in the bed, even with the cold wind enveloping her. She whispered a curse and turned to go inside when she felt it again. A whisper in the wind, desperate but nearly silent. She froze and focused everything she had on that whisper. It was one of Mishtar's shades, trapped on the southern end of the forest. Something had disturbed it, but it couldn't detect what it was. Another shade joined its cry, and Belkai's heart leapt in her chest. Now she didn't hesitate, racing inside to find her dagger, strapping it around her waist before snatching up a skirt and pulling it on. She didn't stop to wake Davos, instead sending a pulse through him to startle him awake. He jolted upwards, and gasped in pain, freezing for a moment when saw Belkai strap a longsword to her back.

"What's going on?" he asked as he began to dress.

"Something's happening in the south, I don't know what," she told him, already heading for the door. "Get Loranna and follow me. Wake Syndra. Have her alert Lithmae, then join us. As fast as possible."

He didn't argue, rushing off into the night as soon as he had his own sword strapped to his side. Belkai didn't look back, feeling distant tremors through her feet as she rushed through the undergrowth. It would take too long to get there, she knew. The distance was too far for even the fastest elf to get there before daybreak. Whatever was intruding would be deep into the forest by the time she arrived. Damnit. She quickened her pace, willing the last cobwebs of sleep to be blown away by the cold air rushing past her face. She didn't know who dared to intrude into her forest, but she would be damned if she allowed it without opposition.

She'd been running for half an hour when Syndra, Loranna, and Davos caught up to her, taking up positions on either side.

"What's happening?" Syndra asked between breaths. Belkai ducked under a low hanging branch before answering.

"I felt something in the south. Something has entered the Forest, but I don't know what." She cursed as she kicked a stone and nearly fell. A group of Blackwings shot past them, alerted by their master and already searching for threats.

"This isn't a plan, Belkai," Davos warned. "We're rushing into nothing."

Nothing but danger, she felt him think, and bit back an angry reply. What was she supposed to do? The shades saw danger. She had no reason not to trust them.

"Don't stop," she answered, her voice firm, and this time received no complaint.

***

Had Nizali known that the Lord of Narandir had been alerted, he may perhaps have hesitated to continue. It had never occurred to the dwarves that perhaps Narandir had its own shades, created by accident and unaware that their own kind existed outside the realm of the Forest. They had no thought about what dwelt amongst those trees, only that they had to circumvent the Brilhardem who stood against them. Nizali should have known better. He had walked amongst the elves, stood before Belkai upon her throne, and travelled briefly with the orc who trained her. Ambition always blinds rationality, even in one as practical as a dwarf. The shades were making good time; whatever Falkar had done during their communion had been exactly what was needed to push aside Narandir's barriers and tunnel through its foundations. They still didn't know where to look for the Source, but in only a few hours they would stop digging and allow the first of the shades to enter the Forest and begin its search. Nizali smiled as he followed the overseers through the smooth tunnel. Victory was in sight.