Chapter 3

Faith

After I left Harriet at the bus stop I headed back home. I had made the stupid decision of leaving my school jacket at home this morning and only had my thin school jumper and skirt to keep me warm. I hated my uniform. It was a mouldy grey colour and was paired with hideous matching grey tights. I never felt comfortable in my uniform. It never fit right and I felt swallowed up in it. I always felt much better in my own clothes and I'm not going to lie.....but I always felt best in my onesie.

I was still thinking about the concert.. Could I actually go through with it? I was thinking of different scenarios to try and get out of it like pretending I was sick or a family crisis or something but the last time I did that Harriet came straight over and knew I was lying. I'll never forget that day.

***

'What do you think you are playing at?' said Harriet. She was standing on the porch of my front door. I looked down, embarrassed.

'We have to be at the restaurant in a half an hour!'

'I told you on the phone that I was sick' I said, faking a cough. Great. I had thought to myself. You sound exactly like Karen from Mean Girls.

'Don't give me that bull.'sneered Harriet. 'You promised!'

That was true. Harriet had planned a double date with her and her boyfriend John and his cousin Mike. I was dreading it. Mike was nice and all but all he cared about was himself. Every time I saw him with his friends he was looking at himself in the mirror or on his camera phone. All he talked about was football and he never talked about anything else.

So when the time came for us to go to Nandos Harriet made me get ready in the space of a half an hour it felt exasperating. I had quickly thrown on a short flowy dress with printed orchids. Harriet matched it with matching black Doc Martins and black lace tights. I had to quickly do my makeup and hair. And was dragged to the bus stop.

Harriet was wearing a bright, red, lace dress. She looked amazing. I sighed. I so did not want to be there. We caught the bus and headed into town. I stayed quite while Harriet nattered on about John and telling to be on my best behaviour. When we finally arrived at Nandos the lads were there. John waved at us and Mike was on his phone. I always liked John, he was always good to Harriet and he never made me feel left out. I always made sure to give them their own space but anytime I was there he didn't treat me any different. Harriet and John were like chalk and cheese but I guess that's what makes them work.

We had run over to them and Harriet had wrapped her arms around John sneaking a little kiss on the lips. I looked over at Mike. He didn't even lift his eyes off his phone.

'So,' said John, 'Who's hungry?'

We got a table and ordered our drinks and food.

Mike didn't look at me once, through the entire night. It was surprisingly relieving. I just listened to Harriet and John talk and it wasn't so bad. Until we left the restaurant. As soon as Harriet and John had their goodbye kiss, Mike looked up off his phone, leaned over and kissed me. Without a second to spare I pushed him off me and he slammed into the wall.

'What the hell!' he said. I didn't know what to say. I just looked at him coldly then I finally said. 'Next time you're on a date make sure you at least talk to girl before you start kissing then' and I walked away catching my own ride home.

I never spoke to Mike again.

***

I got home and put my pyjamas on. Mom wouldn't be home for another hour and Toby was still at football practise so I decided to watch stuff on TV. I always watched reality shows when I came home from school. I never seem to watch anything else really. Just when I got comfortable on the coach my phone made a sound. I groaned and walked up to the kitchen table where I had left it. It was from Caleb.