Chapter 2

Adrenaline bolts through me. Instinctively, I stagger backward, and my heel catches. I correct my balance, but not before a sharp pain shoots through my ankle as it bends a little too far.

The man rushes toward me and holds out his arm, just in case I need it to steady myself. Everything he wears is an inky black; his suit, his tie, and his shirt are all the same deep shade. No wonder I didn't see him in the darkness.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

With a sniff, I brush the tears from my face. "I'm fine."

He studies me more closely. "Are you sure?"

"Mmm hmm."

"You're crying."

"No," I protest with a shake of my head.

His face scrunches as it pulls into a soft smile. "If you say so."

My cheeks heat. "I mean, not because of my ankle. Sorry, I didn't know anyone was out here."

"So, you are crying?"

"Yeah," I say with a sigh. "But I'll be fine. You actually did a great job of scaring me out of my little pity party."

A wry smile tugs at the corner of his lips. "Like scaring someone who has the hiccups." He offers his hand. "I'm Oliver, by the way."

Oliver. The name rolls around in my head, and deep down, something stirs—an inkling that I should recognize him. But whatever memory he's triggered is like an itch just out of reach.

I place my hand in his, giving it a shake. "Victoria. What were you doing out here, anyway?"

"Oh, looking at the stars. Listening to the waves." He gestures at the dark beyond. "It's nice."

"It is," I agree.

Oliver's eyes sparkle as he gestures toward the expanse beyond. "Well, would you like to join me for some stargazing? The ground isn't too rocky."

"I would, but..." I glance down at my dress, a dreamy dusky rose gown that flows gracefully to the ground. The sheer, flowing chiffon is perfect for a romantic wedding but ill-suited for outdoor adventures. "I'm not climbing down there in this."

Oliver shrugs off his jacket and lays it across the path as a makeshift blanket. "There."

Touched by his thoughtfulness, I slip off my strappy silver heels and carefully lower myself onto his jacket. The warmth of his body still clings to the fabric.

Oliver settles down beside me, our shoulders nearly touching.

"For what it's worth, I don't think we're required to be happy at weddings," he says, and I notice how rich and velvety his voice sounds.

I study him for a prolonged moment. "I saw you earlier, and you looked..."

"What?"

"Well, not happy."

His gaze remains fixed on the darkness beyond. "Was it that obvious?"

I shrug. "Only if you looked closely."

Oliver whips around to face me with a pointed grin. "So you were looking closely?"

My cheeks heat as I replay my words. "No!"

His grin widens. "If you say so."

"I mean, I was looking closely at the sadness, yes."

Oliver lets out a genuine laugh.

"I dunno. I guess I was feeling... off, and I was like, 'cool, I'm not the only one who's a little fucked up.'" If my cheeks get any hotter, they'll burst into flames.