Part 4 - A Confession

Dunk's POV:

Things had been strange with Pond lately. He'd always been the quieter one, but lately, there was a distance I couldn't put my finger on. We still hung out, laughed, and shared stories, but something was different. His eyes seemed more distant, his smiles a bit more forced. It worried me, but whenever I asked, he'd brush it off, saying he was just stressed with school.

One evening, after another movie night with Joong and Pond, I decided it was time to get to the bottom of it. I asked Pond if he wanted to take a walk with me. He agreed, though he seemed a bit hesitant. We strolled through the campus, the cool night air filled with the scent of blooming flowers. I kept glancing at him, trying to read his expression, but he seemed lost in thought.

"Dunk, there's something I need to tell you," Pond said suddenly, breaking the silence. His voice was trembling, and he avoided looking at me.

I felt a pang of concern. "What is it, Pond? You know you can tell me anything."

He took a deep breath, and for a moment, I thought he might change his mind. But then he looked at me, his eyes filled with a mix of fear and determination. "I've been in love with you for a long time. I know you have Joong, and I don't want to come between you two. But I couldn't keep this inside any longer."

His words hit me like a freight train. I stood there, stunned, my mind racing to process what he'd just said. Pond, my best friend, was in love with me. I had never even suspected. I felt a wave of guilt for not seeing it sooner, for not understanding the pain he must have been going through.

"Pond, I... I had no idea," I finally managed to say. "I'm sorry if I've ever done anything to hurt you."

He shook his head, his expression pained. "It's not your fault, Dunk. I just needed to be honest with you."

I sighed, feeling a mix of emotions I couldn't quite untangle. "I care about you a lot, Pond. You're my best friend. But I love Joong. I hope we can still be friends."

Pond forced a smile, though his eyes were filled with sadness. "Of course. Your friendship means everything to me."

We walked in silence for a while, each lost in our own thoughts. I couldn't help but think about all the times we'd spent together, all the moments I'd been oblivious to his feelings. It hurt to know that he'd been struggling in silence for so long.

Over the next few weeks, things were different between us. There was a new layer of tension, an unspoken understanding of the pain we were both feeling. I tried to be as supportive as I could, but it was hard to know what to say or do. I wanted to help him move on, but I also didn't want to lose the bond we had.

One evening, Joong and I were having dinner, and he could sense my distraction. "What's on your mind, Dunk?" he asked gently.

I sighed, pushing my food around my plate. "It's Pond. He told me he's in love with me."

Joong looked at me with a mix of surprise and sympathy. "That must have been hard for him. How are you handling it?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "I care about him so much, but I love you. I just want him to be happy."

Joong reached across the table, taking my hand in his. "You're a good friend, Dunk. It's a tough situation, but you're doing your best. Just give him time."

I nodded, grateful for Joong's understanding. "I hope so."

A few days later, Pond and I were sitting in the park, the sun setting in the distance. The silence between us was heavy, but I knew we needed to talk.

"Pond," I began, turning to face him. "I know things have been awkward since your confession. I just want you to know that it doesn't change how much you mean to me."

He looked at me, his eyes tired but appreciative. "Thanks, Dunk. I'm trying to move on. It's just... hard."

"I understand," I said softly. "And I'm here for you, no matter what. We'll get through this together."

Pond nodded, a small smile forming on his lips. "I know we will. I just need some time."

As the weeks turned into months, Pond and I slowly found our way back to a new normal. It wasn't easy, and there were still moments of tension, but our friendship was strong enough to withstand it. I admired Pond's strength and resilience, and I was grateful for his honesty.

One afternoon, as we sat in our favorite café, Pond looked at me with a sense of peace I hadn't seen in a long time. "I'm starting to feel better, Dunk. I've been meeting new people, trying new things. It helps."

I smiled, relief flooding through me. "I'm glad to hear that. You deserve to be happy, Pond."

He nodded, his smile growing. "Thanks, Dunk. For everything."

In that moment, I realized how lucky I was to have Pond in my life. Despite the challenges and heartache our friendship had endured. We had both grown and changed, but our bond remained unbreakable. And for that, I was profoundly grateful.