Chapter One: Aya

"KENMAAAAAA, STOP HITTING THE BALL WITH YOUR FACE". I look up from my sketchpad. I squint my eyes to look at two little boys, tossing a volleyball around.

I've never really been close with my parents or had any friends, so I never really had people ever come over, besides family, that I don't even talk to or know. My parents absolutely hate each other, and I've never really learned how to love or like people after growing up with their constant arguments. Ever since my 6th birthday, my parents have never seemed happy with each other. I constantly watch them fight, sleep in separate rooms, scream at each other, and refuse to look or talk to each other. I never had anyone to go to, to find comfort in, and would constantly be in my room with the door locked, avoiding being around my parents, avoid being out in the world.

I discovered a passion for drawing, I would draw myself on a rocket ship, or inside of a castle, as my mind was full of fantasies. On my 10th birthday, my mother gave me a sketchbook. She told me that I should never give up on drawing, as my little mind was full of wonderous ideas. My father on the other hand, got me coloring pencils and paints and canvas boards, and told me I should expand my medium and practice on new things. My parent's seemed like normal parents that day, and I believed that this was it, this is where they will fall back in love.

When I came back from school the next day, I heard my parents fighting right outside the door. I decided that I wouldn't go inside the house, I didn't want to hear what this argument was about this time. I decided to go to the park that's right by my house. I go up the hill with the big cherry blossom tree and sit down with my back against the tree. I take a deep breath and try to hold back my tears. Why can't my parents just love each other, like every other parent does, why do mine always need to have the dumbest arguments, why do I constantly think that things would get better.