Chapter Four: Aya

I stay up on this hill for a little while. As soon as the sun starts to set, I look at my drawing. It's a picture of my mom and dad hugging me, with genuine smiles on their faces. I smile to myself a little. I close my sketchpad and toss it into my backpack. I finally get up off the grass and dust myself off and pull my backpack on. I start walking home and can't help but think about the long-haired boy, with his cat like eyes. It looked like he was staring into my soul. Creepy... I think to myself, and shiver. I finally reach the front of my door and hear that the house is dead silent. I slowly turn the doorknob and find that my mother is sitting on the couch, with her head buried between her hands, silently crying into herself. She looks up as soon as she hears me close the front door. "Aya, honey, you're home!" she looks at me and stands up for a hug. I just stand there looking at her. She brings her hands back down. "Where's dad?" I ask. "Honey...can you sit down for a minute; we need to talk." I sense myself go numb as I slowly bring myself to the couch and take my bag off. I set it next to the couch and look down at my legs with my hands in my lap. "Honey...Aya...your father and I, we haven't been happy with each other recently." "You're getting a divorce, aren't you" I still can't bring myself to look my mother in the eyes. She's silent for a moment, then she says "yes, Hun, me and your father are filing for a divorce. We were going to have a talk with you tomorrow about who you wanted to stay with, or what you want the arrangement to be with each of us." I huff out a breath, silently get up from the couch, grab my bag, and turn to look at my mother. "I think I need to be alone for a little bit right now." "Yeah! Yeah no okay, that's fine, I understand that this is a lot to put on you, we can talk about this whenever you're ready. I turn on my heels and head for my bedroom. I shut the door and lock it as soon as I get inside. I yank my backpack off and throw it on the ground, and just slide down my door.

This, I think to myself, fucking sucks.