Chapter Six: Kuro

After a few hours of practicing new attacks I saw on T.V., Kenma says "I'm tired, let's go home." As we are packing up. From the corner of my eye, I spot a person. It's her, I think to myself, it's the hill girl. I watch as she sits in her usual spot by the tree, but instead of drawing in her sketchpad that's next to her on the ground, she puts her face in between her legs. It looks like she's shaking. Is she cold, I think to myself. The wind is a little chilly, maybe I should give her my jacket. "Hey Kenma, do you mind if you start heading back now? I can stop by your house later and play video games with you." Kenma looks at me puzzled, "You? Play video games? Since when have you ever wanted to play video games with me." I look at him and smile "well, you play volleyball with me almost every day even though you don't like sports, so shoot, I'll try out a game or two with you" Kenma just stand's there, but then he turns on his heel's and says over his shoulder "okay, whatever, I'll set everything up, but don't take too long cause I'm not patient and I will start playing without you", he says as he pulls out his Gameboy from his pocket. "Yeah, yeah okay." I say with a wave of my hand. I look back up at the girl, realizing that she still had not lifted her head up from between her legs and that her shoulders are shaking violently. She's crying, I think to myself, and my legs move before I even realize that I'm moving up the hill.

"Hey...are you okay?" I say quietly crouched down next to her. She jumps, and I watch as she quickly wipes at her tears looking away from me. "Yeah...I'm fine." I watch as she's still trying to take deep breathes and calm herself down. I shift a little and sit down right next to her, leaning my back against the tree. "Are you sure, because you don't look like you're fine." I turn my head to look at her, noticing that she is now looking at me, with red swollen eyes. She just look's at me, and I move without thinking, again. I wrap my arms around her into a tight hug, and feel her pause, before she starts shaking violently again and wrapping her arms against me. I hate seeing people upset, it does something to me. After a few minutes of holding her while she cries, she doesn't say a word as she let's go and slowly get's up from off the ground, dusting herself off. I was able to only catch a glimpse of her beet red face before she whispers a "thank you" and runs off. "Hey, wait!" I yell after her, "you forgot your sketchbook." But by the time I grab it and look back up, she's gone, nowhere to be seen. I just stand there, sketchbook in my hand, squinting my eyes trying to find a glimpse of her anywhere, but I never do.