CHAPTER 38

The air was thick with tension as the team rushed Lia into the compound, their urgent footsteps echoing through the corridors. Bucky refused to leave her side, his arms wrapped protectively around her trembling form, his heart heavy with fear and guilt. As they settled into the medical bay, Bruce quickly took charge, instructing everyone to leave except for Tony, who he deemed necessary for assistance.

But Bucky, consumed by panic and anguish, adamantly refused to leave Lia's side, his grip on her tightening with each passing moment. The others tried to reason with him, reminding him that his presence would only hinder their efforts, but his fear was too great, his resolve unyielding. It was Steve who intervened, his voice gentle yet firm as he guided his best friend away, leading him into a nearby room to find solace amidst the chaos. Bucky's anguish spilled over, tears streaming down his face as he grappled with the weight of his guilt. "It's all my fault," he sobbed, his voice choked with emotion. "I should have protected her, I should have stopped her. She risked her life for me, and now... now she's paying the price." As they waited anxiously for news about Lia, the air heavy with tension and uncertainty, Steve stood by Bucky's side, offering silent support in the face of his friend's anguish. Bucky's voice trembled with emotion as he poured out his heart, his words laden with guilt and regret. "I knew... I knew she would get hurt because of me," he confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. "That's why I pushed her away, Steve. I thought if I kept my distance, if I made her angry with me, she'd stay safe. But I was wrong. I was so wrong." His hands clenched into fists, his anguish etched upon his features as he struggled to make sense of the chaos that had consumed them. "I tried to stop it, Steve. I tried so hard. But it still happened. She risked her life for me, and now..." His voice trailed off, choked with emotion, unable to articulate the depth of his sorrow. And as Steve listened, his heart ached for his friend, for the weight of guilt that threatened to crush him, and for the woman they both cared for, lying gravely wounded just beyond their reach. He knew the pain of losing someone you cared about, the burden of guilt that weighed heavily upon the soul. And though he couldn't take away Bucky's pain, he vowed to stand by him, to help him weather the storm of grief that threatened to consume him.

Hours passed in agonizing silence, the team gathered in anxious anticipation as Bruce and Tony worked tirelessly to save Lia's life. And then, finally, they emerged, their faces weary yet hopeful. Bruce's gaze fell upon Bucky, his voice gentle yet solemn as he delivered the news they had all been waiting for. "She's asking for you," he said softly, his words a beacon of hope amidst the darkness that had engulfed them. And with a trembling heart, Bucky rose to his feet, his steps hesitant yet determined as he made his way to Lia's side, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.