18 | Secrets and Lies

At least, that was how it should have happened. That was how things should have gone, and everything would have been fine, yes? Fyodor and Mayumi, Mayumi and Fyodor. They would have been fine, all would have been well. The two would have continued working in the shadows, dodging the Port Mafia, the Agency, White Rose, the old remnants of the Decay of Angels.

Unfortunately for both of them, real life rarely worked out that way.

Mayumi had been lost, enraptured, running her tongue from the tip of Fyodor's member to the base, feeling his shivers from the palm she'd placed on his stomach. She placed a tentative kiss on his pale, pink head, closing her eyes, ready to take him in her mouth—

Fyodor jerked away from her suddenly. Mayumi's eyes flew open.

"Fyo—"

"I can't do this."

She watched as he pulled on his clothes, his cloak and his hat, and stood up, not looking at her, refusing to and not daring to, afraid of what he would let himself do if he did.

"Good-bye, Shimei."

He'd even pulled his socks on, and she watched, silently, as he trailed past her, out through the thin doorway of the bedroom. She did not move as she heard the shuffle of his boots and the creak of the door.

She should have asked him to stay, but she would not. She dared not to.

The flame between them had grown precarious, and it was turning into danger. He had seen it, as had she.

Yet she had not cared.

Mayumi Shimei found that she was, for the first time, lost for words.

She would reply that moment long into the early hours of the morning. But she never had an answer to any of her questions.

Not one.