Chapter 1

I was advised to rest for a while. I still cannot believe that I came back ten years before. This is my 15-year-old self, still learning because I am the sole heir of the Grand Duchy.

However, this also means one thing. Allishia is already inside our grand duchy. If I could remember correctly, this is when I was pushed down the stairs and father did not even bother to check up on me as he was busy pampering the girl. She’s here for a month now.

Ah, good thing my photographic memory is still in me.

A year later, my father will meet a tragic death, resulting in my early inheritance of the duchy. Just after my debutante ball, I became the Grand Duchess real quick. My father’s death was announced to be a serious illness however, I know it is not.

He was poisoned. A poison taken for so long that slowly kills his body. The Flower of Death.

After his death, our grand duchy was handed over to me and reigned over the years. Unbeknownst to me, a spy was planted inside our duchy, my very right hand, Eric.

Such betrayal makes me filled with wrath.

*knock knock*

“You may enter.” I answered, lying on my bed.

“My lady, His Grace request your presence in his office.” Rin informed me, bowing his head.

I know what she was feeling right now. She’s confused as to why my father cannot be bothered with my condition right now and let me rest for a while to regain my health. Such a lovely and kind maid do not deserve a tragic death because she chose to protect me.

I will not let what happened in the past repeats itself. I must protect her in this life. She must live and find her happiness.

“Please help me get dress, Rin.”

“Yes, my lady.”

Father asked me to his office, probably he will talk to me about Allishia. I sighed. Rin noticed it and became even sadder for me. I chuckled at her.

Rin was trained to not stick her nose to me. She was trained to restrain her worry to me. Even how worried she is, she chose to keep her mouth shut and just do what she’s told. But, I think, I must allow her to be comfortable around me this time.

She was framed as well in the past that lead her to death. It was Allishia’s doing again. Her lies and acts were so powerful like it was scripted and planned. What will happen if I copy her method?

Well, this is not my normal method but, I will have to resort to this kind of wicked method to win over my father again. I cannot let Allishia do whatever she wants this time.

I am Veronica Ellyiane De Vaugnn, and I know much more emotions than nonchalance. The act must start now.

In front of the Grand Duke’s office, I stand as they opened the door for me. At a glance, I could see my father in front of his table, doing some paper works. I stand, raised the hem of my dress and bowed to him.

“Greetings, your grace.” I deliberately acted delicate, like my body aches every time I move. “I pray for your good health.”

He will probably find it strange that I did not call him father and instead, addressed him with formalities. I plan to make him feel that I am being distant and so, he will start to think of his actions.

Another good part here is, Allishia is not inside. A good timing, yes.

“You may take your seat first, my child.”

I took the seat for a guest, not my seat beside him. He put a seat specifically for me inside his office as well for he will train me once a week about the work of a grand duchess to manage the grand duchy and their people.

I could see his forehead creasing as he stared at me. Why is your daughter putting distance between you and her? Think, father. You spoiled me and everything I want was given as I am your only heir. Your daughter is always silent as she do not express her emotions.

This is not my way but since I came back to my younger self, I think it is reasonable to act jealous as I always envy Allishia for my father’s affection. Although, my nonchalance came from my father, but his attention equates his affection.

“How are you, Veron?” he asked, staring at me with dark expression on his crimson orbs.

“I am fine, your grace.”

His expression darkened even more. I smirked internally. I know my father too well. He loves me, his only daughter and heir. It was just Allishia who poisoned my father’s mind. With her continuous defamation, my reputation worsened in the eyes of my father.

I just could not fight back as I pitied her actions. I tried to understand that the lack of attention and affection of a family pushed her to do that. I did not expect that it was all an act from the very start.

“Veronica,” he put his work aside and beckoned me to come forward. “Come here and tell me what’s bothering you.”

I did not stand up but I spoke.

“It is nothing, your grace. You must not concern yourself unto my well-being and focus on Allishia from now on.”

“Allishia?”

Got you, father.

“So it is because of Allishia. I have always told you, Veron,” Father sighed.

“I know, your grace. I understand her situation.” I bowed my head, stare at the floor, and whispered, “But, how about mine?”

I whispered enough for my father to hear it. He did not answer. I know this plan is bound to fail from the start as he knew that I do not usually express what I feel. He probably find it strange. I sighed.

“Your grace, may we talk about why you have summoned me in your office?” I changed the topic however, he still did not answer me. “If we have nothing to discuss about, please may you excuse me, your grace? The physician advised me to have rest in order for my injuries to heal quickly.”

I stood up and bowed once again. Doon palang nasira ang walang emosyon niyang mukha.

“Injuries? You have injuries? Why haven’t the physician told me about it?!” he quickly checked me. Despite his anxious acts, he held me so carefully.

He stared at my left wrist and saw the bruise in it. The bruise has actually healed already but I gripped my own wrist hard for it to swell.

“Veronica, this is not from a simple fall. You did this to you? Does your maid do not know their place?” I could clearly see his anger. I must seize the chance to tell the truth.

I attempted to bow my head once again when father hold my chin and raise my face to look into his eyes. I tried to avert his gaze, maintaining my straight expression.

“I-It was Allishia. I do not want to tell you because I know, you will not believe me. You cherished her like your own daughter.”

“Veron, that is not true.”

“It is, your grace. It was you who distanced yourself from me after Allishia came into the duchy. You believed everything she says than to what I say. You won’t probably believe me when I told you that she was the one who pushed me down the stairs.”

I pulled my wrist from his hands and covered it with my sleeves.

“You were with her when I was unconscious, I do not even felt your presence when I woke up.” This is probably the unsaid words that my 15-year-old self wanted to tell my father that time.

Father embraced me in his arms.

“I am sorry, my child. I do not realize your pain until now.”

I smirked that he did not notice. I captured my father’s heart this instant. Ganito pala ang ginagawa mo, Allishia. Let’s see, who will win this act of deceit?

veron  |  nianskii