Chapter 5

Rin and I personally took care of the little boy. Rin protested that she will do it alone but I insisted. He’s silent ever since but he’s staring at me.

We have no cloth for a young boy so I tried to find one in my closet that fits him. I sighed. A boy wearing a girl’s dress. He did not oppose nor say anything so we let him wear my childhood dress.

He looked like a girl. He has a shoulder length hair which adds the feminine appearance.

“Rin, you may now rest. You can left this little boy to me.”

“Yes, my lady.”

After Rin left, the little boy and I stared at each other. More than ten minutes has passed, we still stayed on our spot. I could see him fighting the urge to sleep. I chuckled while shaking my head slightly.

“You may rest as well. We will have a talk tomorrow.”

I watched him get down from my bed and lie on the floor. I was shocked as to what he did. Although, my room’s floor has thick carpet, it still not suitable for a little child to sleep on the floor! And he’s my younger brother!

“H-hey, d-don’t lie there. I was meaning to say, you will sleep here in my bed, beside me.” I told him and beckoned. “Come here.”

“I-I cannot, m-master.”

A small gasps left my lips. What cute voice it is? But, ‘master’!? I do not like him addressing me as his master but, it is late at night, I will take advantage of this and order him to rest so we can talk tomorrow.

“That is an order. Come here now and rest.”

He flinched at my word ‘order’. Hesitant but he still did what I told. I put him the cover and watched him sleep. I also embraced him in my arms as I closes my eyes. I will protect this little brother of mine in this lifetime. Those who try to harm my little brother must taste my wrath and I must personally send their souls into hell.

I WOKE UP because of a touch in my face. I opened my eyes as I caught a small hand poking my cheek. I felt him flinched at my sudden awaking and retracted his hands at once. I sat up and greeted him.

“As the sun rises, I pray for your life to shine bright. Good morning.” I watched him rushed to stand up and bowed to me. I sighed once again. “Do not do any of that from now on. I am not your owner, but your sister. How old are you?”

“13, m-mast –––”

“What?!” he flinched at my sudden snap. 13? He’s 13? But he seemed to be only 7 years old?!

“I-I’m sorry, m-master.”

I inhaled to calm myself. I must act my usual self. I do not easily lose my composure even in the past, but this little guy here made me really worry about him.

“Sister. Call me sister. I am Veronica Ellyiane De Vaugnn. What is your name?” I asked.

“I have no name, maste ––– uh, s-sister.”

This won’t do. Just like in my past life, Allishia said he does not have a name. But, is that man really there to get my little brother? But, how is this little boy come in front of our duchy if someone has bought him? Did that man released my little brother?

“You,” He stared at me. “Stay here, I must get you a proper clothes. I shall see you inside my room when I get back or else, you will receive a punishment from me.”

He nodded. Without calling for Rin, I walked out of my room with my sleep dress on. I find my father’s chamberand knocked but no one answered. He must be in his office again. I rushed towards his office and burst in.

He looked at me as I bowed at him. Shit. I forgot to knock and wait for his assistant to open the door for me. I raise the hem of my dress as I bow.

“I apologize for my sudden intrusion and for forgetting my manners, your grace.” I did not raise my head if he did not say so. Nagmamadali ako dahil nag-aalala ako na mawala ang kapatid ko pagkabalik ko sa kwarto.

“Forgiven, my child. What brings you here in my office with your night dress?”

“I-I wanted to ask your permission to look for a cloth from your closet, your grace. Preferably, your childhood clothes.”

“And may I ask why?”

Should I tell him? But, if I tell him, Allishia will found out sooner than in the past. However, if I lied to my father, he might hate me and restrict my movements inside the grand duchy. I guess, it is much better to tell my father.

“I-I found a little boy, your grace. He was under my care right now but I do not have any cloth that suit him.”

“A little boy?”

“Yes, your grace. If you would permit this humble daughter of yours to look for your clothes that might suit the boy.”

“Hmm,” he put his paper works and pen down before he stood up. “I shall lend a hand to you, then.”

I thanked him and we went to his room. Good thing he stored his clothes from childhood in his closet. I tried to find a size that might fit him. His age really contradict his appearance.

I found my father’s clothes when he was six and get at least three for my little brother. I thanked my father and was about to go to my room when he followed me.

“I must see the boy myself.”

I thought he would be stricter with me because I did not tell him about the little boy and would punish me for recklessly acting on my own. I also thought he would question me as to where did I get the boy from. But I guess, father really loves me.

Once we entered my room, I found the boy sitting obediently at my bed. How cute he is, right?

“He’s right there, your grace.”

“I don’t see a boy but a girl, Veron. And would you please call me ‘father’ again? I saddened me that you address your own father with formalities.”

“Yes, father. I am sorry. However, father, that girl your said is actually a boy. I lend him my dress because I do not have any clothes that fits for a boy.”

We approached my little brother as I ruffled his hair. He raised his head and look right into my eyes. Then, he shifted his gaze and stare at my father. I glanced at my father and I could clearly saw the shock in his eyes.

“That...Veron, you must give me an explanation to this.”

I inhaled as I put the clothes onto the bed. There are servants that are willing to hold the clothes however, I ordered them to let me carry the clothes. I do not know, maybe I am just protective for my little brother.

I ordered the servants to get out of my room that only the three of us left inside. I cannot risk Rin as well because my father would punish her if he found out that it was Rin to led me to the black market.

“I found him in the slave market, father. I took pity and saw his eyes that resembles ours, I bought him and brought him here in our duchy.” I explained.

Father listened to every words I say while staring straight at the little boy who was bowing his head and fidgeting with his fingers.

“I have a hunch, father, after I saw his crimson eyes that only our Grand Duchy possess, I thought that maybe...” I glanced at the little boy as well. “Maybe, he’s my brother.”

The boy seemed to understand my words as he raised his head once again to stare at me, astonished. However, I receive no response to my father.

I smiled at the little boy which made his eyes widened. How cute he is. He resembles my father so much, especially when my father was a child. Then, my father suddenly spoke and made me froze for a second.

“He is.”

What?

veron  |  nianskii