Chapter Two: Wizards & Rogues

Ishta turned to Astarion with a mischievous glint in her eye. "Who wants the honor of investigating that swirling vortex of unstable energy?" she asked, trying to contain her amusement.

Astarion's response was a cold, slightly hostile stare which made her chuckle. The two elves were on their way back to join Shadowheart at their campsite for the night when Ishta spotted a faint purple glow in the distance.

She veered off the path to get a closer look and Astarion followed suit, albeit with some complaining. They now found themselves standing in front of a cliff face where an unruly whirlpool of arcane power spun wildly, illuminated by sparks and crackles.

The runes and symbols surrounding it hinted at its function as a teleportation spell gone awry.

"After you, I insist," Astarion remarked sarcastically, taking a step back as another spark flew out from the chaotic mass and hit Ishta's leather armor. He folded his arms and raised an eyebrow skeptically, lips forming a half-smile that didn't reach his eyes.

Ishta felt a slight tingle where the spark had landed but nothing harmful happened. Undaunted, she cautiously approached the runes, squinting in concentration as she tried to decipher their meaning. The air around her hummed with magical energy, causing her arm hairs to stand on end.

"It's definitely a portal, but something's not right about it," she called out to Astarion, concern creeping into her tone.

"Wonderful. All the more reason not to touch it then," Astarion replied dryly, his wariness evident in his stance. He impatiently tapped his fingers on the hilt of his dagger.

Ishta grinned mischievously and whispered under her breath, "Now you've made me want to touch it even more."

As soon as her fingers brushed against one of the glowing runes, a surge of power shot through her hand, causing her to jump back with a small cry of surprise. The sensation was intense, like a bolt of lightning coursing through her body.

Rubbing her hand sheepishly, she turned to Astarion and flashed him a toothy grin

Rubbing her hand sheepishly, she turned to Astarion and flashed him a toothy grin. He looked at her with an arched eyebrow and a mixture of amusement and exasperation.

"Looks like you were right, I shouldn't have touched it," Ishta said cheerfully, her eyes shining with excitement.

"And yet you claim that my survival depends on you? Somehow, I'm feeling less sure about that," Astarion quipped with a smirk.

Just as Ishta was about to fire back a retort, a purple sleeve shot through the center of the portal. The unexpected appearance of the arm startled her, causing her to jump back and reach for her weapons. A voice echoed out from the portal, desperate and urgent.

"A hand? Anyone?"

Her heart raced as she cautiously observed the waving arm. Despite waiting in anticipation, nothing else happened; the arm remained extended, as if searching for something to hold onto. Curiosity overpowered caution, and Ishta approached it slowly.