Chapter 13 Risk

Nine of us crammed into Peter's office, Lord Alaric's ship was anchored right next to ours. We had no way out.
"So what do you propose we do, your majesty," Mr. Tumnus asked.
Peter sighed, "I don't know."
"You're trapped," Irvin explained, "They have cannons on board. If we even try to leave they'll fire them at us for sure."
"We could hide Verity," Armand suggested.
I laughed, "That's the wildest idea, I've ever heard. These men, if they don't get what they want they're capable of a massacre."
"Oh, Verity, please don't talk like that," Ruth protested, frightened.
I looked over at my oldest brother, "I guess the only solution is letting them take me."
Peter lay his hands on my shoulders, "Not if I have any say in it."
"They can take me instead," Edmund stood up, "I deserved to die, why did Aslan die for my place?"
"Ed, don't talk like that," Susan told him, she placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Only Aslan can help us," Lucy said quietly.
"Yes," I agreed, "He'll help us, and he gave me a plan; why didn't I think of it."
I sat down and asked for a paper, "Lu, is Aslan near, right?"
"Of course," Lucy nodded, "He always is."
"So this plan relies mostly on him, but he still has to do our part. All we have to do is fight. Irvin."
"Yes, your majesty," he answered.
"Would it be easy to sneak on board and hijack their ship, while they attempt to kill me?" I asked.

 "Verity, no," Peter and Susan both protested.

 "Don't worry. I have my pen-dagger, and I figured out how to get my hands free if they're tied up. It's pretty simple. Irvin, you will steer the ship to the shore. When I am free, I'll take care of it, and all the rest of you do is join the fight."

 "Brilliant," Edmund grinned, "I knew you'd think of something."

 "It wasn't just my idea," I replied, "I just was told to do that."

 "By whom?" Ruth asked.

 "Aslan, he spoke to me in a dream," I said.

 That night, I waited. I couldn't sleep. It was about Armand. I was still angry about what he had done, but did I like him?

 I went out onto the deck and stared over at the Raven, Alaric's ship. It was so intimidating, its black raven head seeming stronger than ours. They had cannons we had none.

 "How will we win?" I asked, but then I remembered it was all in Aslan's hands.

 "Verity, what are you doing up?" Peter asked me.

 "I can't sleep," I answered.

 Peter lay a comforting hand on my shoulder, "I can't believe I'm letting you do this."

 "It's a risk, but with Aslan's help we can do this," I said confidently. I felt the warmth of Peter's arms around me.

 My dear brother always trying to protect me. What would I do without him?

 "There is something else on your mind, dear sister?" Peter stated.

 "It's Armand," I sighed, "He told me he loved me and..."

 Peter stiffened, "Verity, what did he do, did he?"

 "He tried to kiss me...I didn't let him, but," I cried.

 "The scandal!" Peter said angrily, "Tomorrow I'll..."

 "Peter, we don't have time for that; we have to focus on Alaric tomorrow," I interrupted, "I just wish I could tell both of them what I think."

 "What do you think?" Peter asked.

 "I don't like either Irvin or Armand and if I did, none of them would be the right kind of man," I answered.

 "Should I tell them?" Peter asked.

 "No, I think it's best if  I tell them, would they believe you? It's best if I do it," I replied.

 We both then heard a noise at the bow of the ship.

 "Who is that?" Peter asked.

 I grabbed hold of his hand, "What if it's one of Alaric's men."

"It isn't," he led me to the bow. There stood Edmund holding a knife to his throat.

 "Ed!" I cried, I let go of Peter's grasp and managed to knock the knife out of his hand.

 "What are you doing?" Peter questioned.

 "I don't deserve to live," Edmund said.

 I felt tears reach my eyes; I looked over at Peter; he had a helpless look in his eyes.

 "Alaric's lying and you know it," I answered calmly."It doesn't change the fact that Aslan died for you."

 "That's just it, Aslan can't take your place, but he did mine. You didn't mean to do anything wrong, but I did," Edmund explained.

 "Who said Aslan hasn't taken my place," I muttered.

 "What?" Peter asked. 

 I looked back at Edmund, "You may have done wrong, Ed, but did that stop Aslan? No, his love is greater than that. He paid the debt that you owed. Don't throw your life away, because shame tells you, you don't deserve to live. They might be right, but nothing can separate us from his love in which we are more than conquerors," I told him, laying a hand on his shoulder while he looked down at the knife.

 "What is it?" Peter questioned.

 "The knife," he said, picking it up."I hadn't removed it's sheathed," Edmund gained, "He wanted me to live."

 Peter and I tackled him in a hug; as we pulled away, I looked at them both, "We need to be prepared for tomorrow."