Chapter 1

While Marcus strolls alongside Lucas down the vibrant, bustling, luminous streets of Los Angeles, Marcus glares over, with his hazel eyes affectionately fixed on Marcus.

Marcus: Hey, Marcus I know this authentically cozy, inviting sushi place that is not too far from here, and I was wondering whether or not you were particularly hungry.

Lucas: That sounds perfect for me right now. I am craving some California rolls paired with a refreshing drink.

They walk to the sushi place, get a table, and order various types of sushi. The air is cool and crisp, with a zephyr wading over them coupled with the faint aroma of blooming flowers.

Marcus's Thoughts: I wonder what you perceive me to be. Lucas, do you visually perceive me as a friend, as a loser, as a twin, or as your lover? I wonder...

Lucas: What made you stare into my soul? Did I do something to offend you?

Marcus: No, no, no, you did absolutely nothing wrong; I am just thinking.

Lucas: What's on your mind right now?

Marcus's Thoughts: I can't tell him; I can't let him optically discern me like this... What should I do? What should I do?

Lucas: There you go again, staring into my soul. Tell me, what's genuinely going on? (As he whispers this gently into Marcus's direction, he commences reposing his hands on Marcus's hands.)

Marcus shoots up like a bullet traveling to its unalarming victim.

Marcus: III-I-I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM.

Lucas: What?? (He says it in a very perplexing tone.) Didn't you go to the bathroom earlier after telling me about your friend?

Marcus ambulates past the dining table, rushing to the bathroom without looking behind him. He enters the bathroom, trying to figure out what's going on with him. Marcus stands in the small, tiled bathroom of the sushi place. He grips the edge of the sink, staring at his reflection in the mirror and pondering his existential existence.

Marcus's Thoughts: What is wrong with me? Lucas must think I'm an absolute idiot, a coward, and a pussy.

He splashes cold water on his face. He looks up again, his eyes searching his own reflection for answers.

Marcus's Thoughts: Why was I so pitiable? I just want to be with Lucas. I can't keep obnubilating and pretending. When he optically canvasses me, I feel as though he looks through every doleful exculpation that I have thrown so expeditiously at him. I do, in fact, want him to understand me. But what if he doesn't feel identically tantamount? What if I ruin everything? Our relationship-everything we've ever built up to this very moment. What if he says no? Or worse, what if he laughs at me and thinks I am a sack of shit?

He stops, leaning back against the wall, sliding down until he sits on the dark tiled floor. Propping his legs up to his face with his arms crossing his legs, he sighs to himself.

Marcus's Thoughts: I have to tell him. It surely can't be healthy to confuse him like this.

He slowly stands up from his fetial position. He takes one last look at himself in the mirror, straightening his shirt and running his fingers through his hair. Marcus turns in the direction of the bathroom door when suddenly Lucas bursts in with a worried expression.

Lucas: Marcus! (Panting slightly.) Are you okay? I thought something was wrong when you weren't coming out for a while.

Marcus freezes, his heart skipping a beat, at the sight of Lucas.

Marcus: (stampering) L-Lucas, I... I'm fine. Really, I just needed a moment.

Lucas steps closer, his eyes searching Marcus's sparkling eyes.

Lucas: You don't seem fine to me. You've been acting strange all night. Please, talk to me.

Marcus: (softly) Lucas, there's something I need to tell you. Something I've been holding back. Lucas, you're my best friend. You know me better than anyone. And that's what makes this so hard. I don't want to lose what we have. But... I can't keep pretending. I can't keep hiding how I feel.

Lucas: Okay, I'm listening...

Marcus: Lucas. I think I'm in love with you. No, I know I am. And it's been tearing me apart, not knowing if you feel the same or if this will ruin everything.

The bathroom falls silent, the weight of Marcus's confession hanging heavily in the air.

Lucas: (softly) Marcus, I had no idea you felt this way.

Marcus feels his heart sinking; fear and regret threaten to overwhelm him. He opens his mouth to speak, to apologize, to do something, but Lucas steps closer, his hand gently reaching out to touch Marcus's arm.

Lucas: (Gently) I... I was always in love with you, Marcus; I never wanted you to find out because of preconceived notions about society. I have always been hidden in shame, agony, and most of all, dread. This endless dread stems from the fact that I thought I would never find someone or even be with a person like you.

Marcus looks up, hope flickering in his eyes.

Marcus: (yells) REALLY?

Lucas, with a shocked expression, nods his head in agreement, and a small smile forms on his lips.

Lucas: Really. We need to talk about this and figure it out. But I'm here, Marcus. I'm not going anywhere. I will always be here for you, listening, praying for you, and loving you.

Relief washes over Marcus, breaking through his past anxieties.

Marcus hugs Lucas tightly, basically taking the breath out of Lucas's lungs from the amount of euphoria that had just occurred in that bathroom.

Both Marcus and Lucas: I love you.