iv. i am calm, i am... content

┌─── ∘°❉°∘ ───┐

She was soaked to the bone, her clothing sticking to her skin and rubbing uncomfortably against her with every move she made. The cloak whose lightness she had previously praised pressed down on her shoulders, becoming heavier with every step she took.

She loved it.

It had been so long since she had seen rain. First the hot deserts of Dorne, then the freezing wastes beyond the Wall. Neither climate truly allowed heavy rainfall.

So now, standing in the downpour, droplets running down her face and obscuring her vision, her boots sinking into the softening earth - she had never felt so alive.

No sounds could be heard beside the rain hitting the leaves around her in a constant, never-changing ambient. It calmed her, made her forget about the stress of the tourney. Allowed her to focus, even.

Despite it all, however, she was growing tired. So when a light appeared in the distance, she made her feet speed up one last time.

Houses slowly became visible through the leafage. Small huts stood along the beaten-down road, all leading up to- a septry.

She quickly opened her bag and started rummaging through it. Inside everything was wet as well. She swore, though only in her mind.

Her blue cloth stuck to the side of her small bag, partly hidden by her flagon and coin bag. When she pulled it out her golden embroidery stuck out like a sore thumb. Shit. Hopefully no one would recognise the animals.

She laid the scarf over her head, pushing back strands of her hair under the cloth, and crossing the excess fabric over her neck. This was the first time since she had cut her hair two years ago that she was glad she had done so.

A septry was a good thing. They could grant her sanctuary and hide her away from any potential pursuers she still had. They also might be open to giving her a bed for the night. And she could pray properly once again.

She stepped through the archway onto the castle grounds. The septry appeared much bigger than she had anticipated for such a small town. Though perhaps this was usual for the Riverlands.

A tree rose in the middle of the courtyard, surrounded by bushes and flowers. Its impressive height made her think the septry might have been constructed around it instead of the other way around.

She walked up to the main gate and knocked on the dark wood. Her hands flitted around her scarf, pulling it further down her forehead. The door opened quickly, and she let her hands drop.

Before her stood a young woman with light skin, not much more than five years her senior, dressed in the grey robes of the faith.

Elle prepared to say something, ask for help, explain her situation, but she did not need to.

"What are you doing out here in this weather?" the woman, likely a holy sister, exclaimed, opening the door further. "Come inside, you will catch your death."

She was ushered through the door by the sister, the water dropping off her body and onto the stone floor. Usually, the cold did not bother her, but right now she was glad for the warmth.

"I would like to ask for sanctuary," Elle said quickly. "And a bed for the night, if you can spare one."

The sister smiled. "Of course. But first, let's warm you up."

Elle fell into step beside her, being led through the septry. They walked down the cloister, whose garden might have been quite beautiful if not for the still raging rainfall.