x. waking my sleeping beauty should not be this much work

cw // descriptions of blood and wounds, age gap (she's 17 he's 8000... it happens sometimes y'know)

┌─── ∘°❉°∘ ───┐

The days had started blending into each other. An endless cycle of sleeping and riding. Sleeping and riding. Sleeping and riding.

She did not even have a destination in mind. She just needed to get away. Away from the people she had harmed. From the people she had killed.

Her dreams were haunted by their wails. By the blood on her hands. The laughter of the soldiers. She had awoken with a scream more than once.

She should have never come here. She should have gone back to Sunspear when she still had the chance. She should have gone home.

By what right had she called herself a knight? Knights protected people, saved them from the kind of monsters that followed her eternally. Knights certainly did not bring the doom onto those they were sworn to protect.

She could have gone bathing in her misery forever, yet the gods had other plans for her.

It happened during a full moon. She had been lying curled up against a tree, staring into the distance, and trying not to fall asleep. She would have travelled through the night, but she had to let Starlight rest.

Her gaze had wandered up, looking through the canopy to the moon above. That was when the voices had begun.

They started slow, almost unnoticeable. And when she had finally realised, she couldn't move anymore. Forced to stare at the moon, laid bare for the spirits.

come come come

follow us follow us follow us

we need you we need you we need you

Who are you?

we are nothing

but he needs your help

he is trapped

I cannot help you. I cannot help anyone.

you are the only one

go and find him

he is not far

Where?

in a castle nearby

your steed will lead you

you have to go

Why me?

you know why

look inside yourself

there you will find the answer

A blink of her eyes, and the sky had turned a bright blue, scattered sun rays breaking through the leaves and caressing her face. The usual headache was slowly creeping up.

She did not want to go. Did not want to risk endangering anyone else. And yet...

It was only one person, if the spirits were to be believed. Only one person she had to free from an unknown danger - something she had become quite adept at.

One last task. Then she would bother the Riverlands no longer.

Starlight indeed seemed to know the way, strengthening her conviction that there was something odd about her horse.

It was not long until they reached their destination, and it took a moment for her to realise it. The castle was almost completely hidden behind mountains of thorn bushes, only some stones and the roof of the highest tower jutting out from the endless green. A trench separated the castle from the outside world.