Chapter Sixteen

Ulf took the lead, pushing the doors open gently. The room was vast, filled with ornate decorations that seemed out of place in such a grim setting. At the far end, Roman stood, his back to us, seemingly engrossed in conversation with a group of guards.

"Don't let them fool you, they know you're in the building." Andy's voice filled our ears.

Motioning us to spread out, we moved silently, positioning ourselves strategically around the room. I felt the void's power pulsing beneath my skin, ready to be unleashed. Ben ported to the shadows, his eyes locked on Roman.

With a nod from Maddox, we launched our attack. Ulf surged forward, his movements a blur as he disarmed one of the guards with a swift punch to the face. The guard crumpled to the ground, blood streaming from his broken nose.

Maddox moved with lethal grace, his hands a blur as he incapacitated two more guards with precise, calculated strikes. I focused on Roman, my knife held ready. He turned, his eyes narrowing as he spotted me.

"'You,' he sneered, recognizing me instantly. 'You'll regret coming here.'

I lunged at him, aiming for his midsection, but he was quick, sidestepping my attack and grabbing my wrist. Pain shot through my arm as he twisted it, but I didn't let go of my knife. Instead, I used the momentum to spin and bring my elbow crashing into his face. He stumbled back, blood spurting from his nose. "Fuck you!" I screamed at him.

"Aina! Be careful!" Ulf's voice boomed from the other side of the room.

Ben appeared beside me, landing a powerful kick to Roman's side. Roman doubled over, gasping for breath, leaving Ben enough time to grab me and port us behind Ulf.

The teleportation gave me a weird dizzy feeling, but I snapped out of it quickly.

We saw the twins emerge from the wall behind Roman, their intangible footsteps making no sound. Andy materialized first, his body forming along with a knife that he plunged into Roman's back. Roman gasped, a grunt of pain and anger escaping his lips. Mady followed, kicking his feet out from under him. Roman fell to the ground, blood spreading across the floor.

We ran over to him, our breaths heavy and hearts racing. Andy and Mady reformed fully, their expressions were grim. Roman lay on the ground, a pool of blood spreading around him.

"Where's Alistar?" Ulf demanded, kicking Roman over, to get a better look at his face.

Roman smirked but you could see the clear pain he had on his face. "Closer than you think." From the corridor we came in from, about five guards rushed in, dressed in combat gear. Only three of them had guns, but their presence alone was intimidating. They didn't advance far, just enough to block the entrance and trap us inside.

Roman still on the ground by our feet. I didn't think the knife in his back was going to kill him, he was hurt badly but he could become an issue. Without thinking, I touched him. Thinking of the void. Feeling it come to me, the practice had really helped. I sent him to the void to deal with him later. Should have just killed him but I panicked with the rush of guards.

We quickly regrouped, forming a tight circle so no one could attack us from behind. The tension was palpable, each of us ready to strike at any moment.

Suddenly, Ben grabbed Maddox and ported away. I was shocked and confused. Did he just run? Or was this a new part of the plan? My eyes darted to Ulf, whose face was a mask of anger and sheer determination. His resolve gave me a surge of strength.

Mady's hand reached out and grabbed mine, a comforting gesture in the midst of chaos. "We've got this," she whispered, her voice steady. I nodded, squeezing her hand in return.