Prologue

Y/N hums to herself as she mixes the ingredients for Stiles' favorite pancakes in a glass bowl on the kitchen counter. He slept over at her and Derek's loft since their dad had to work an overnight shift at the station. She hasn't seen much of Stiles since everything that went down with Hydra, the hunters, and the Avengers. With getting kidnapped and outed as the dead Stark child to the world, she had a lot of shifts to make up for at the hospital. Today is the first morning she doesn't have to be in at 5 AM, so she plans to make the best of it and catch up with her little brother.

Letting go of the whisk and bowl, she grabs the tongs next to the stove and flips over the bacon she has sizzling in a pan. Y/N is so engrossed in what she's doing that she doesn't hear Derek sneak up behind.

"Holy shit," Y/N jumps as Derek wraps his arms around her from behind.

Derek lets out a low chuckle, "For a werewolf, you have terrible hearing."

Y/N rolls her eyes at him, "I was clearly distracted."

"I'd be happy to distract you some more."

"Or you could set the table?"

"I can do that too." Derek presses a kiss into her hair before letting go of her. He notices that she has three different pans on the stove cooking bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns. "What's with the big breakfast?"

"It's Stiles' first day of senior year, and I feel bad that I haven't seen him that much since everything that's happened this summer," Y/N says, pouring some of the pancake batter onto the griddle she has set up on the counter.

"He slept here for almost two weeks."

"Yeah, but that's because he was scared that he was going to lose me. Not that he'd ever admit that." She says the last part under her breath, but Derek is still able to hear it. "We haven't had time to catch up lately." Y/N turns to look at Derek and loses her train of thought when she sees him. He's shirtless and his blue plaid pajama pants are hanging dangerously low on his hips.

Derek pauses setting out the silverware as he feels her eyes on him. Looking up, he smirks at her eyeing him up and down. He's about to tease her when she hisses in pain and jumps away from the stove.

Y/N rubs at her arm where she accidentally touched it to the hot pan on the front burner of the stove. She was so distracted by Derek that she wasn't paying attention to what she was doing.

"I blame you for that," Y/N mumbles, pouting at Derek as he walks over to her.

"I'm sorry," Derek presses a quick kiss to her lips before grabbing her arm and pressing a kiss to where her arm touched the pan. There was luckily no burn on her. She either didn't touch the pan long enough, or it had already healed by the time he got to her.

Y/N thanks him and kisses him on the cheek before turning back to the food before it burns. She continues to hum the tune to the song stuck in her head as she finishes cooking breakfast. She hears Stiles come down the loft's stairs as she scoops the scrambled eggs into a bowl for the table.

"It's too early," Stiles whines, plopping down in a chair at the kitchen table.

"It wouldn't be too early if you didn't stay up almost all night last night." Derek rolls his eyes at Stiles.

"How do you know that I stayed up last night?"

"Because thanks to werewolf hearing, we can hear you typing and scribbling all night," Y/N replies, setting down the eggs and bacon in the middle of the table. "What were you doing anyways?"

"Research."

"For what?"

"Another werewolf showed up at the school at Senior Scribe. Well, technically two werewolves showed up, but I'm only talking about one of them. He claims to be Theo." Stiles says with disdain in his voice as he shovels food onto his plate.