Non-WoF Short Story #3

Hush my darling and sleep tight.

'Till the sleep from your eyes

Is stolen from the dawn's morning light

Hush, my love, and goodnight.

Carol whispered the lyrics of the lullaby to herself. It had always helped her go to sleep when she was restless. At least when it was sung by her.

Carol's stomach roared in hunger. I shouldn't eat. Mommy says it's good manners to eat when we can all eat together. We're supposed to eat three times a day only, from when the golden ball in the air wakes up, until it touches the water. But that had happened three times already, and her mother still hadn't come back with food.

There! Carol thought. Carol raced down from her spot on the leaves, racing past still palm trees and the slumbering flowers. Her toes sunk into the sand as she reached the shore. It was rising, the glittering silver ball that came after the golden one. Moon. Carol remembered. Mommy said it was called the Moon. Her mother taught her new things everyday, Carol was always excited to learn. Mommy hasn't been here to teach me things. Carol thought. She must be saving a whole bunch of lessons to teach me at once.

A gleaming orb of light filled up her vision. It was the moon, glittering like a diamond in the night sky. "Full moon." Carol said aloud. "It comes every 28 days when it's completed with it's cycle." Carol recited what her mother taught her. The moon glistened against the waves of the ocean.

Mommy could be returning soon. I should head back. But Carol was so fascinated by the waters. She'd never been this close before. Her mother always held her back. The ocean twinkled like sapphires. Maybe I can stay for a little while longer. Carol waded into the water, shivering at the sudden flash of coldness against her legs. As Carol eased into the water, she realized how freeing the water felt. She loved how the waves splashed against her, as if playing with her. How come Mommy kept me from here? Carol continued to play in the water, trudging further and further into the depths of the ocean.

Suddenly, a strong current swept Carol off her feet, and she tumbled into the ocean. Under the water was the exact opposite of being above. Salt stung her eyes. Every movement she took only seemed to make her sink further. The tightness in her chest kept on growing. The playful demeanor of the water changed, pushing against her, as if trying to keep her from escaping. It'll be okay, Mommy makes everything okay. She'll be here soon and explain to me that this is all a new game. Except Mommy wasn't there. The golden ball woke up from its slumber, giving light to the island.

Hush my darling and sleep tight.

'Till the sleep from your eyes

Is stolen from the dawn's morning light

Hush, my love, and goodnight.

The sleep never left her eyes.

Author's Note:

I like this short story. I think it turned out pretty good. I hope you guys like it. If you have any critiques for it please let me know.

Word Count Without Author's Note: 502

Total: 541