6

Things returned to normal after a few weeks. I started tutoring Colby again, though for a shorter amount of time. He didn't mind, and our sessions continued smoothly. True to his nature, Colby never brought up the incident, and it seemed he hadn't told anyone about it either. No one from our friend group sent me pitying glances or treated me differently, which was a huge relief. The sense of normalcy was a comforting blanket, wrapping around the unease that had settled in my mind.

Each day, we settled into our routine. Colby made steady progress in calculus, and our interactions regained their easygoing rhythm. Sam's cheerful presence continued to lighten our lunches, and the laughter and friendship we shared helped me feel more at ease. It was a comfort to know that despite everything, the bonds we had formed remained unshaken. The rhythm of our daily lives, the predictability of school, and the consistency of our interactions all contributed to a sense of stability that I had missed deeply.

~~~~~~~~

One afternoon, while I was tutoring Colby, Sam burst into the room with his usual exuberance. He snatched the pencils out of our hands and slammed our textbooks shut, his enthusiasm palpable.

"Alright, you two, enough with the studying!" Sam declared, grinning from ear to ear. "It's Friday, and all you've been doing lately is hitting the books. It's weirding me out how Colby is willingly studying. We need to have some fun!"

Colby chuckled, but I could see he was a bit taken aback. "Sam, we were just getting to the good part of—"

"Nope, no more calculus talk," Sam interrupted, pulling us both out of our chairs with surprising strength. "We're going to have some real fun. Come on!"

He practically dragged us out of the house and into his car. As we settled in, Sam held up a list filled with ideas for the weekend.

"Alright, listen up," Sam said with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "We've got skateboarding, ding dong ditching, going to the mall, laser tag, a movie marathon, an escape room, mini-golf, having a picnic at the park, visiting an arcade, going to the local fair, and even baking a giant cookie."

I glanced at Colby, who seemed just as amused as I was. "This sounds insane," Colby said, laughing. "But okay, I'm in."

"Me too," I added, feeling a rush of excitement. It had been a long time since I'd let myself just have fun. Plus my dad was going to be out of town for a business trip and wouldn't return until Monday morning, so I had nothing holding me back.

Sam grinned triumphantly. "Great! Let's get started."

~~~~~~~~~

The first thing we decided to do from the list was skateboarding. I knew how to skateboard, but not as well as Colby and Sam. Plus, it had been a long time since I'd done it, so I had practically forgotten most of what I knew. The anticipation of trying it again was both thrilling and nerve-wracking.

We arrived at the local skate park, and Sam immediately took off, doing tricks and flips effortlessly. Colby stayed back with me, sensing my hesitation. He was always good at reading me, understanding when I needed a little encouragement.

"Need a hand?" Colby asked with a playful smile, extending his hand towards me.

I hesitated for a moment but then took his hand, feeling a bit shy. "Yeah, it's been a while. I might need a crash course."

He chuckled softly, his grip firm and reassuring. "Don't worry, I've got you. Just remember to bend your knees a little and keep your balance. You've got this."

As he guided me, holding my hand, I felt a surge of confidence. "Like this?" I asked, trying to mimic his stance.

"Perfect," he said, his eyes twinkling. "You're a natural. Just relax and let the board do the work."

I stumbled a bit, and he tightened his grip, steadying me. "Whoa, careful there," he said, his tone teasing yet gentle. "I can't have you falling for me already."

I laughed, feeling the tension ease. "Maybe I'm just trying to see if you'll catch me." I myself was surprised at that response which made my cheeks flush red.

He winked, his voice softening. "Always."

With his help, I started to get the hang of it again. We skated around the park, and every time I wobbled or lost my balance, Colby was there, holding my hand and encouraging me. The support and patience he showed made the experience more enjoyable and less intimidating.

"You're doing great," he said after a while. "Just keep looking ahead and trust yourself. And if you need more practice, we can always do this again. I'd be happy to teach you anytime."

I smiled, feeling a warmth spread through me. "Thanks, Colby. I think I might take you up on that."

As we continued skating, I couldn't help but feel a spark of something more between us. His encouragement and subtle flirty comments made me feel more at ease and confident. It was a perfect start to our weekend adventure, and I found myself looking forward to the rest of the list with newfound excitement.

The way Colby supported me and made the experience enjoyable reinforced the bond we had, and each moment spent together felt special. Every glance he sent my way and every smile he shared made my heart flutter, and I cherished the attention and care he showed me.

Sam, ever the enthusiastic ringleader, kept us all energized and laughing, his ideas ranging from hilariously absurd to genuinely fun. His infectious spirit pulled us into the weekend's adventures, ensuring there was never a dull moment.

As the day wore on, the sun began to set, casting a golden hue over the skate park. The sky was painted with shades of pink and orange, adding to the sense of magic that enveloped our group. We took a break, sitting on a bench, catching our breath and sharing stories and jokes. The camaraderie between us was palpable, and it felt like a scene from a movie, the perfect blend of friendship and budding romance.

Sam proposed we move on to the next activity, and Colby and I exchanged a knowing look, both of us eager to see what the rest of the weekend would bring. We gathered our things, Sam leading the way with boundless enthusiasm, and Colby and I following close behind, our fingers brushing occasionally, each touch sending a thrill through me.

The first day of our adventure had been a resounding success, and with the weekend stretching out before us, I felt a sense of anticipation and excitement. With Colby and Sam by my side, I knew we were in for an unforgettable experience. The sense of adventure and the promise of new experiences made my heart race with excitement, and I couldn't wait to see what the rest of the weekend held for us.