Bound To Linger On

~
Michael's eyes met Jamaal's many times as he crept out of bed. The expression on his face was to remain unread, whether he was upset or confused was not obvious but Michael couldn't let himself be caught up in that at the moment. So, he pulled on his clothing and made his way outside, looking for flowers then pulling off a few petals. He littered them atop the bed, careful not to meet Jamaal's gaze. Lucky for him, Jamaal had rolled his eyes to sleep.

The night had been cold, the inside of Michael's car frosted, but for some reason Michael was covered in sweat, his skin hot to the touch. Even so,he continued on in the chilling darkness, with only the dimly lit street lights as company. The roads were long and lonely, the route to his home was always an unfriendly reminder of all the silence left unheard in his mind. In that moment, it came pouring back in but, none of it was intelligeble. The air teased at his skin, barely cooling him in the slightest. Street lamps and lights were becoming more blinding by the minute. Home seemed so far away.

But, it wasn't, supposedly, if home was where the heart is, where it should be, then it was standing right on the corner.

The stop light shined a bright green, but Michael sat there in the street, pressing his head to the steering wheel, breathing slowly. He heard the sound of tires turning on pavement and poked his head up a bit, watching the corner at which it stopped.

Of course, she was bent over into the passenger side window in the next five seconds. Her red stained lips stretching into a smile as she played with her blonde hair. The man in the driver's seat was putty in her hands, easily toyed with and manipulated. He gave her the money before she even got in the car.

Michael chuckled, then calmly stepped out of the car. He wanted to slam the door but instead, he shut it gently, not bothering to lock it. The man and the woman left together in the car, Michael followed them block by block on foot. The sickness and exhaustion he felt was nothing to his silently, seething anger.

They all wound up in a dark alley way, the car windows rolled all the way up, hidden under a blanket of darkness. Michael armed with nothing but his emotions. He could've been somewhat civil and knocked on the car's window, alas, he was not.

Before he'd even realized, his hand was bloodied and the glass to the driver's side window was shattered and yet he felt no pain.

The silent city was silent no more as Michael yelled, "ARIANN!" He practically rippedthe man from his seat, looking his wife in the face as he threw this middle aged balding man out of his own car.

~

Ariann kept her facing the window, ignoring her husband, and he ignored her back. The only sound was the roar of the engine, the way the car handled was amazing. On second thought, Michael wanted to go back and let her milk that man for every penny he had but he couldn't.

He glanced over her way and she felt his eyes on her but, she didnt face him. He put his hand to her tummy and softly, he asked, "You know you're pregnant, right?"

Ariann sighed, "I could be pregnant."

"I don't give a fuck, Ariann Elizabeth. You have no reason to do these things except to spite me."

Ariann rolled her eyes, he could hear it in her voice, "You know I'm not stupid, correct?"

"Ye-"

She whipped around, slamming her hand down on the console, "So where the fuck have you been, Michael?!"

He stepped on the breaks steadily and smoothly, parking in the driveway of their home. She grabbed the door handle just as Michael reached in his pocket. "Here."

The pendent shined on the necklace, a silver phoenix with outstretched wings hung low as Michael draped it around her neck. Their eyes met for a moment then their lips.

"I love you."