𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟭

𝗔𝗫𝗘𝗟

It wasn't always like this. The hate now throbbed in me like a drum, a constant beat echoing in my head.

Now, it consumed me. And it was all his fault: Zach Kim, Number 10.

“I don’t get why you want to do this,” Kiara said, shaking her head. She was one of my best friends and my former on-again, off-again girlfriend. “You’re just going to make it worse. Can’t you call a truce or something?”

“A truce? Are you serious?” I tried to keep my voice calm as I gave her the rundown for the fucking hundredth time.

“You know West Virginia High and Luxe Academy have been football rivals forever. Now that dickhead Ten is Luxe’s captain, he’s throwing every intimidation tactic at me. As West Virginia’s captain, it’s my responsibility to stop him.”

“How does fighting him in front of a crowd stop him?” she huffed, annoyed. “Sometimes it feels like I don’t even know you. You’ve been obsessing over him since this rivalry started.”

“Obsessed? No. It’s about pride and showing him he can’t get away with his behavior.” I ignored her muttering, “As if you’re any better,” and continued. “If I beat him on and off the field, he’ll lose respect.” I grinned at the thought. “He deserves a beating after last week. Breaking into our gym and messing with our stuff crossed a major line.”

Kiara’s mouth twisted. “I agree, but I don’t like the idea of you fighting him. It’s so...uncivilized.”

“Uncivilized, you say? Right.”

She studied me, brushing her chocolate-brunette curls out of her eyes and tilting her head. Attempting to hide her smile, she sighed exaggeratedly. “Times like this remind me why it never worked out between us. We’re too…”

“Different?” I suggested. She was right, though. Our relationship had been more of a convenience—easy, effortless. But Kiara was too good for me, too clever, too nice. She deserved more than what I could give her.

“Different, yes. We work better as friends, don’t we?” She finally let me see the smile tugging at her lips.

I returned her smile as I stretched, kicking out my legs. “We argue less as friends, that’s for sure.”

A snort of laughter escaped her. “True. We were never right for each other. You need someone as crazy as you to handle your unique Axel-ness.”

Axel-ness.” I raised a brow. “I hope that’s not an insult.”

Still smiling, she climbed off my bed and stood next to my desk chair, kissing the top of my head. “It’s not an insult. You know I love you.” She sighed. “I just wish you’d listen to me, but I know you never will. You’re too stubborn.”

Straightening up, she tucked her hair behind her ear and shot me a concerned glance. “Don’t see me out. I’ll be there to cheer you on at the game, okay? I’m on your side, Axe. Always. Just don’t get so caught up in this rivalry that you lose focus on everything else.”

“Thanks, Ara. I won’t.” I was lying through my teeth, and Kiara knew it. Zach had to answer for what he’d done, and I was going to make him pay.

Obsessed, she mouthed, slipping out the door before I could say anything else.

******************

Kiara was wrong. I wasn’t obsessed with that bastard. I told myself this even as I drove towards Luxe at 10:00 p.m. My dad was in bed—not that he cared when I was home. Since I’d turned eighteen, he said I could do whatever I wanted. Like I hadn’t been doing that already. My neglectful mom hadn’t been around since I was six, so I had no one to answer to, other than my as fuck nosy friends.