𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟯

𝗔𝗫𝗘𝗟

Glancing in the rear-view mirror, I indicated to turn right into the grounds of Luxe High School. Right behind me was the bus carrying the rest of the football team, but while I navigated in the direction of the student car park, they turned into the visitor parking area.

Technically, I should’ve parked there, too, but I happened to know for a fact that a certain tall , hot , muscular eighteen-year-old football captain parked his very expensive, very flashy car in the prime spot in the student car park, closest to the school entrance, and no one else was allowed to park next to him in case they damaged his pretty car.A fact I was about to take advantage of.

Navigating into the space next to Levi’s driver-side door, I purposely parked at an angle, ensuring he wouldn’t be able to open his door unless I moved.

“Axe, seriously. Do you have to?” Kiara crawled over the center console, and I helped her out of the car since she couldn’t get out of the passenger door, thanks to my great parking skills. Once she was out, I angled my seat forward so Hunter could climb out of the back.

“Of course he does. And just so you know, I’m going in the front on the way back. My legs are too long for that backseat.” Hunter stretched, groaning.

Kiara raised a brow. “We’ll see.”

“Maybe I could be convinced somehow?…”
I left them to their little flirting game, opening the boot and pulling out Hunter’s and my gym bags before locking the car.

My mind turned to the game—there’d be time to fuck with Zach afterwards. Now, I had to make sure that our team won.

“Come on. We’ve got a match to win.”

I made for the visitors’ car park to meet up with the rest of the team and the two teachers that were there to supervise. One was Mr. Lec “call me Charles,” one of the school PE teachers, and the other was Max Verstap, a guy on West Virginia High ’s board of governors, who used to be a semi-professional footballer.

Max had been instrumental in our success the last year or so, giving us tips and tricks he’d picked up in his days in the Manchester youth team and then as a semi-pro player.

We trailed into the visitor changing room, stowing our bags and changing into our football kits. Charles and Max talked the whole time, last-minute words of advice and encouragement.
Then it was time.

As we filed out onto the football pitch, the heavy atmosphere hit me. There was normally a sense of rivalry at our games, but this was different. The Luxe High stands were swarmed with fans in navy and green, the LHS team colors, far outnumbering our own black and red. And they were hungry for blood.

“Fucking hell,” Hunter muttered to me. “The crowd’s abit riled up today.”
Cocking my head, I listened to the shouts, a constant roar that filled the stadium. “Yeah, I guess they took our win in the last game to heart.”

If I admitted it to myself, our win had been helped by Hunter diving and completelymplaying up the injury that had got their player sent off the pitch with a red card. My resulting penalty had sealed our win, and I’d wasted no time gloating in Hunter ’s face.

It was the way things were. I knew he’d do the same if his team had been in our position.The referee held up the coin as our team faced LHS. Grey eyes met mine, stormy and wild.

You’re going down, I mouthed as Zach replied to the ref while he kept his gaze fixed on mine, his jaw tense and his fists clenched.

Fuck you, Seven, he mouthed back as the referee flipped the coin.