Chapter 170: Dust Off Your Highest Hopes

HARRY:

At breakfast on Monday morning, an owl landed in front of me. This was odd, given my profound lack of mail that year, so I leaned forward to read the recipient's name off the envelope, sure it was a mistake. To the contrary, though, it bore my name.

I reached out to grab the envelope, thoroughly confused, but before I got the chance, several more owls landed on the table in front of me, some going to me and some going to Lucy, all bearing envelopes except for one, who was holding a cylindrical package. This one hopped over to Lucy, whose eyes widened.

"Here, Harry, open it, I think I know what this is," she said, tossing it to me.

As I tore the packaging away, I realized that The Quibbler had arrived.

HARRY POTTER SPEAKS OUT AT LAST: "THE TRUTH ABOUT HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED AND THE NIGHT I SAW HIM RETURN"

WITH THOUGHTS FOR THE SKEPTICS FROM LUCY DIGGORY, HARRY'S STRONGEST SUPPORTER

I felt my face heat at the thought of Lucy being publicly declared my biggest supporter, but when she read the headline, she smiled from ear to ear.

"Finally, honest reporting!" she declared, slapping the magazine down for everyone else to see.

Luna lowered herself between Lucy and Fred. "It's good, isn't it? It came out yesterday, I asked Dad to send you a free copy. I expect all these are letters from readers," she added with a gesture toward all of the gathered owls.

Hermione nodded excitedly. "That's what I thought! Harry, do you mind if we — ?"

"Go for it," I said, reaching for a letter myself and skimming it.

Ron shook his head. "This one's from a bloke who thinks you're off your rocker, ah well..."

"This woman recommends you try a good course of Shock Spells at St. Mungo's," Hermione reported with a frown.

"This one looks okay though... hey, she says she believes me!" I said, holding it up triumphantly.

Fred laughed at the letter he was reading. "This one's in two minds. Says you don't come across as a mad person and what Lucy said seems reasonable, but he really doesn't want to believe You-Know-Who's back so he doesn't know what to think now. Blimey, what a waste of parchment!"

"Here's another one you've convinced, Harry! 'Having read your side of the story I am forced to the conclusion that the Daily Prophet has treated you very unfairly. Little though I want to think that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has returned, I am forced to accept that you are telling the truth.'" Hermione sighed with relief. "Oh, this is wonderful!"

A distinct sickly sweet voice interrupted us. "What is going on here? Why have you got all these letters, Mr. Potter?"

I glanced up to see that Umbridge was standing behind Luna and Lucy, and she was looking rather suspiciously at the owls and letters and envelopes now littering the table.

Fred huffed. "Is that a crime now? Getting mail?"

"Be careful, Mr. Weasley, or I shall have to put you in detention. Well, Mr. Potter?"

I bit back a sigh. I didn't want to tell her, not really, but I knew she'd have to find out sooner than later. "People have written to me because I gave an interview. About what happened last June."

"An interview? What do you mean?"

"I mean a reporter asked me questions and I answered them. Here."

I chucked the copy of The Quibbler at her, and to my disappointment she caught it. While she studied it, I glanced at Lucy. She was pretending to read the letter in her hands, but she had a calculating look in her eyes. Before I could try to get her attention, Umbridge spoke again.