One Hundred Five : A Shattered Celebration

~𝓐 𝓢𝓱𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓭 𝓒𝓮𝓵𝓮𝓫𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷~

Sunlight spilled through the high windows of the Matsya royal dining hall, casting dancing patterns on the polished floor. The air buzzed with the murmur of conversation and the clatter of plates as the royal men enjoyed their midday meal. Women moved around the room, ensuring everyone's plates were full and goblets replenished.

Aanya stole a glance across the table. A faint smile touched her lips as she observed Abhimanyu exchanging shy smiles with Uttara. The young couple seemed oblivious to the world around them, lost in their own silent conversation.

"What has you so amused, Aanya?" Draupadi, standing beside her, inquired, her voice laced with curiosity.

Aanya, startled from her observations, shook her head quickly. "Nothing of importance, Draupadi," she murmured, a hint of amusement lingering in her eyes.

Despite the lingering shadows of their past exile, a sense of peace and normalcy had settled upon the Pandavas since they had reunited with their children. A week had passed, and Aanya reveled in the simple joy of seeing her family whole again, their laughter filling the halls once more.

Suddenly, a hush fell over the room as King Virata cleared his throat, his voice drawing everyone's attention. "Samrat Yudhisthira," he began with a hint of nervousness in his tone. "I have a proposition to make, something that has been weighing on my mind for some time."

Yudhisthira, his brow furrowed in mild curiosity, leaned forward slightly, gesturing for the King to continue. Virata took a deep breath, his gaze flitting between Yudhisthira and Arjun before finally settling on Abhimanyu. "It is my wish," he declared, his voice firm yet laced with a touch of hope, "to see my daughter, Uttara, united in marriage with Prince Abhimanyu. It would be my honor if you accept her as your daughter-in-law."

A wave of surprise rippled through the room. All eyes turned towards Arjun, awaiting his response. Aanya, however, felt a pang of something akin to protest rise within her. Abhimanyu and Uttara were mere teenagers, on the cusp of youth, their innocent affection a world away from the complexities of marriage.

"Maharaj Virata," Aanya interjected gently, her voice barely a whisper amidst the stunned silence. "While we are deeply grateful for your proposal, Abhimanyu and Uttara are still young. Perhaps-"

"An excellent proposal, Maharaj," Kanha boomed, his voice cutting through Aanya's unfinished sentence. A glint of amusement danced in his eyes as he surveyed the stunned faces around the table. "This union would not only strengthen the bond between the two kingdoms but would also bless Abhimanyu and Uttara with a companion to grow with."

Arjun, his gaze flitting between Aanya and Kanha, cleared his throat. He could see the doubt in Aanya's eyes, and knew he would have to discuss it with her first before making any decision. "We are honored by your proposal, Maharaj," he said finally, his voice betraying a hint of hesitation. "However, Abhimanyu is still young. Perhaps some time-"

"Time is a luxury we may not have, Partha," Kanha interjected once more, his voice turning serious. "The whispers of war grow louder with each passing day. A strong alliance will be paramount in the battles to come. Abhimanyu and Uttara's marriage holds far more meaning than just the alliances."

A murmur of surprise filled the room once more. Aanya's reservations remained, but Kanha's words hung heavy in the air, whispers of war. She glanced at Abhimanyu and Uttara, their faces flushed with a mixture of shyness and excitement. Perhaps, she thought, an early marriage could offer them a sense of stability in the uncertain times ahead.

Yudhisthira nodded thoughtfully. "Vasudev is right," he finally said. "A strong alliance with Matsya will indeed be invaluable. However, such a decision cannot be made hastily. We must consult with the priests and choose an auspicious date within reason."