Seven

' I know that it's wrong'

-

Fridge lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling, the events of the day swirling in his mind like a whirlwind. Evvie's face was a blank canvas, an empty void where memories should have been. He clenched his fists, determined to remember, but the harder he tried, the more elusive she became. He knew he needed help—Kelsey's help.

As night fell, he waited until the house was silent before slipping out of his room. He moved through the shadows, his heart pounding with a mix of fear and determination. Climbing the familiar oak tree, he reached Kelsey's window and tapped gently.

A moment later, the window slid open, and Kelsey's face appeared, a mix of surprise and worry in her eyes. "Fridge, what are you doing here?" she whispered, letting him in.

He climbed through the window and stood in her room, the moonlight casting a soft glow on everything. "I need to talk to you, Kelsey. I need your help."

She crossed her arms, looking both wary and curious. "About what?"

"About Evvie. I can't remember her, and it's tearing me apart. But more than that, I love you, Kelsey. And I know that makes everything more complicated, but I don't care. I need to make it right. I need to remember."

Her eyes softened, and she took a step closer to him. "You really mean that, don't you?"

He nodded, his heart in his throat. "Yes. I love you, Kelsey. And I'll do whatever it takes to remember Evvie. I want to fix this."

Kelsey sighed, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "It's not going to be easy, Fridge. But if you're really willing to try, then I'll help you."

He reached out, taking her hands in his. "I am. I'll do whatever it takes."

She squeezed his hands, then gently pulled him closer. "Okay. We'll start tomorrow. I'll tell you everything I can remember about Evvie, and we'll find ways to jog your memory. We'll figure this out together."

Fridge felt a surge of hope. "Thank you, Kelsey."

She smiled, a bittersweet expression. "Don't thank me yet. We have a long road ahead."

He leaned in, and she met him halfway, their lips meeting in a gentle, tentative kiss. It was a promise, a shared vow to face the challenges ahead together. As they pulled away, Fridge felt a warmth spreading through him, a sense of connection he hadn't felt in a long time.

They sat on her bed, talking quietly about Evvie, about memories they shared and moments that defined their friendship. Kelsey's words painted vivid pictures in Fridge's mind, and slowly, he felt the fog beginning to lift. It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't complete, but it was a start.

As the night wore on, Kelsey rested her head on his shoulder, and Fridge felt a sense of peace wash over him. For the first time in what felt like forever, he felt like he had a chance— a chance to remember, a chance to heal, and a chance to love.

And as he drifted off to sleep beside Kelsey, he whispered a silent promise to himself and to the memory of Evvie: he would remember her, and he would never stop fighting for the pieces of his life that mattered most.

4o