One Mans Trash

Connie sat at a booth by herself and Steven kissed her possessively. "I love you. You know I love you, don't you?"

She smiled patiently. "Of course. You don't need to reassure me, Steven. I'm not concerned." Her hand reached up to brush against his cheek. "I love you too. So, so much. You can do this."

Over the last four months, Steven and Connie had worked hard to settle in together and find a happy middle ground. Neither were all better, nor were they going to be waiting any longer.

When they'd showed up to therapy together, Jeanne had broken a bit of professionality and hugged them both. "It's about time."

Her encouragement that it was in fact time gave them confidence, but Steven still had to do one last thing.

His phone vibrated and he went pale. "I don't want to do this."

Connie squished his cheeks like she used to do when they were kids. "You're brave and you'll do the right thing. But it's time to stop stalling."

Steven kissed her again. "Please don't let any random guy sit here. I'm still working on jealousy."

"So am I."

The idea of Steven coming to see Audra made her want to burn down the building and lock him in her apartment forever like a femme fatale Beauty and the Beast.

Instead, she kissed his cheeks this time. "But I trust you. Do you trust me?"

A salacious look appeared in his eyes and he raised a teasing eyebrow. "I do."

The two words brought a blush to her cheeks and they both giggled. They weren't ready to get married yet, far from it honestly, but sometimes they liked to practice. It was another unsaid game, random and unplanned and only occasionally.

Connie decided she kind of liked the secret games they played.

Steven finally pulled away and stood to his full height. "Okay. I'm ready."

No sooner had he rounded the corner did Audra walk in.

Holding a toddler.

Connie's rage reached full swing, she was ready to chew her out but Steven smiled at them both weakly.

She realized she was paralyzed with fear.

*

In all of Steven's battles, through every loss and every injury or mental scar, this would be the hardest thing he'd ever had to do. He would've rather spent the day with White.

Audra's baby did in fact look like her, and not like him at all. He looked up at Steven with wide innocent eyes and he almost burst into tears... but then he smiled a little. "He's beautiful. Congratulations."

Audra pursed her lips. "I haven't heard from you in over a month, and it was only to tell me you're okay again. I'm still your wife. I want to make this work, I gave you your time."

The temptation to call bullshit was strong, but Steven realized any deep grained resentment was ebbing away for now. Any wife that loved him would be putting up posters and calling the police if they thought he'd been missing so much as a couple of days, let alone a year.

It was ridiculous; Audra was ridiculous. She didn't care, he could see it now. Her nails and hair were done, she was wearing her best and seemed comfortable with that. Her son had all name brand clothes. Steven could guess the other twin was at daycare and she'd only brought one to make him complacent, not because she had to.

Once again Steven came to the realization that Audra was simply a life lesson.

He'd been so heartbroken after Connie that he'd fallen into the arms of the first woman he saw. He gave her everything and looking back, she gave nothing in return. Now he had urges, whispering thoughts and anxiety when Connie came home late or went to the store by herself. It wasn't problematic and he was certain she didn't catch it 90% of the time, but he itched for her at all times. Just to hold and snuggle at the very least. All that time he had thrown away on Audra trying to pretend she was Connie had resulted in him craving Connie so badly it burned in his chest every hour of every day.