Prologue

When I was a boy, my parents let me sleep in bed with them.

We all cuddled together, me in the middle with each parent on the other side.

Why, You may ask.

Because late at night, after father had tucked me in, after mother had kissed my forehead so lovingly, I would see it.

In the darkest corner of the room, I would stare, until the feeling overwhelmed me.

It would travel deep inside, to my soul, and plant it's evil clutches, making me squirm.

So I'd scream and run to the safety of my comforting parents.

But one night was different.

The darkness, it could not be seen. It could not be felt.

The strangeness was gone, but really it wasn't.

Not until I realized it was inside of me.

It finally cracked the combination, and overtook me.

My heart beat fast as I felt my body go numb, my mind go blank. But I fought it, hard and strong.

I dashed out of bed as fast as I could, letting out a whimper when I my head hit the floor from my tangled blanket.

Pushing my hands up, I stomped down the hallway, stopping short.

Screaming and yelling filled my ears, causing me to shake slightly with fear.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"

"WHY WOULD I EVER WANT TO TOUCH YOU AFTER HE HAD HIS WAY WITH YOU? YOU'RE A SLUT! A GOOD FOR NOTHING WH-"

The voice was cut off by a loud smack.

Without thinking I threw open the door.

She looked at father, before taking a silent step to me, bending down to my height and grabbing my shoulders apprehensively.

"Don't be scared baby. Everything's ok."

Reaching out, I rubbed away some of her make up mixed tears. The black smudged on my thumb pad.

"Why are you crying mommy?"

She shakes her head.

"Let's get back to bed honey."

She picks me up, and reluctantly I let her. I dreaded as she carried me back to my bed, laying me down with a kiss to my forehead.

"Mommy loves you."

And that was the first night, and every night since, that I slept alone.