Chapter 2: A trip to Wales

It was Jacob's birthday party, but as soon as he arrived, he decided to sit in his room.

He jumped onto his bed and laid flat on his back as he looked up at the ceiling.

He didn't get peace for long though since a knock was heard and the door swung open. "It's Aunt Susie." A woman walked in with a package in her hand.

"Thought you might wanna open this one." She sat down next to her nephew as he sat up to look at what was in her hands.

"It's from your grandpa." She handed him the parcel. "Found it while I was packing up. I figured he meant to give it to you someday."

"Thanks." He gave her a light nod before she got up and walked out of the room.

Jacob tore apart the plain wrapping to reveal a book of some sort inside. It had writing inside of it, and it read 'To Jake, and the worlds he has yet to discover.'

The teen flicked through the pages but stopped when he came across a postcard with a picture of Wales plastered at the front. It had a message written on it; sent from a person named 'Almar-Lefay Peregrine.'

The message wrote:

'My dearest Abe... I hope this card finds you well. The children, (y/n) and I yearn to hear your news. I do hope you will visit us again soon. We would do love to see you.

With admiration,
                            Almar Peregrine.

...

The therapist hummed with interest as she flipped the postcard over in her hands. "Only two years ago. I suppose it's possible he could still be alive."

Jacon nodded in agreement. "Right. I could meet him." He suggested. "Maybe even find out what it was grandpa wanted me to know."

"But what if he's dead?" His mother interrupted.

"Well he has a wife. It mentions a woman named (Y/n) in there, doesn't it? She must be alive. I could go meet her." Jacob proposed the idea.

"I don't know about this, Jacob..." The older lady shook her head.

She then turned to look at the therapist infront of her. "Dr Golan... we are very concerned with Jake's state of mind right now." She admitted.

"And there is no way I'm putting my life on hold to take you to Wales." She told her son.

Jacob looked over his mother's shoulder and an idea popped into his head. "Dad could take me."

"And he can look at birds... and work on his book. It means you get a break. And as doctor Golan said... maybe I can move on." He tried to convince.

"Like, closure."

The blonde woman who was sat in the chair, nodded as she smiled softly. "Having an oppertunity to see this children's home... and seperate fantasy from reality may be helpful."

"And at the very least, a trip like this provides a chance to... say goodbye." She advised.

Jacob looked at his parents expectantly as they sat in silence, thinking about whether to agree or not.

...

Jacob and his father were sat on the back of a small boat, sailing their way to Wales.  They came close to a small, cold island which the teenager was just reading about.

"Cairnholm, population of 92." He read from the book his grandfather had gifted him. "Best known for it's proximity... to the final resting place of the cruiser line Augusta."